(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟎) deductions

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA MADE HER WAY UP TO THE CAVE the next morning after she'd seen Rita. Once she arrived she saw Sirius lying lazily against Buckbeak and Theodore pacing around as usual restless and thinking.

Kennedy wasn't there and Athena was actually glad about this. She had no want to see Kennedy especially after she found out that she was lying to Sirius. She felt bad for him, not knowing the fate of the woman that he loved. Athena couldn't imagine keeping something like this from Remus, not after she'd seen how badly keeping secrets could end.

"You're saying that the Carol that had an affair with Ben... wasn't even the real Carol?" Sirius asked with a frown on his face as though this was very difficult to believe.

Athena had thought the same thing. It seemed impossible that a death eater could have been hidden right under their nose this entire time. Even before this tournament had started.

"Either someone's been pretending to be Carol for a very long time or the real Carol is a death eater who had to erode her identity and go into hiding"

"Which do you think?" Asked Theodore.

"I think she's pretending" Athena continued, "I don't think that this Carol is Carol at all. Rita told me what I already knew, that her sister left Hogwarts after fifth year to become a publicist. If she was a death eater or was planning on becoming one it wouldn't make sense for her to drop out of school and join the muggle world... it wouldn't provide her anything helpful towards her actual goal"

"So Carol really is missing, well she's probably dead by now" Sirius said casually.

"Actually that might not be the case" Athena went on, "for their plan to be working they're obviously relying on polyjuice potion to get away with being someone else"

"So?" Theodore frowned.

"They need part of the person they're turning into and if this has been going on since 1991, they'd need Carol alive to keep providing enough hair for them to pretend to be her"

"But why Carol?" Sirius asked, "we thought they were using her because Rita was near the castle which would give her an excuse to be to. If we're going back four years it seems that Carol being used was completely random"

"Maybe it was random" Athena shrugged, "even in 1991..."

"What is it?" Theodore asked as Athena's words trailed off.

"I have a feeling that she's been Carol for a while not just for the plan about the tournament, Carol met Ben around that time and since then she's infiltrated my life. If this is a death eater pretending to be Carol then it's not a coincidence that she happened to sleep with Ben"

"You're saying whoever is pretending to be Carol is someone that you know?"

"Someone that I've upset in the past" Athena went on, "using Ben feels almost like revenge and the way she spoke to me the other day in the three broomsticks, it's as though she believed us to be old friends"