(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟒) him

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

THE FIRST TWO DAYS WENT excruciatingly slow. Athena only left her office for lessons. Aurora would bring her food from the hall (much to her displeasure).

Her sister believed that she was being ridiculous. Athena shouldn't have to hide away because of what Remus did twelve years ago yet here she was almost scared to be seen walking around the castle because she thought she might run into him.

Athena knew she was being pathetic but her mind wouldn't let her be any other way. She feared seeing him more than she'd expected herself to.

She wasn't scared of him directly more the feelings and emotions that would burst out if she looked in his eyes. This memory of the past, memory of the pain that she'd been through. When he'd done nothing but leave her alone in the dark with no one to rely on.

Athena had been messed up for ages because of what he had done. She couldn't trust people anymore, not really. Sometimes she convinced herself that she did but this wouldn't last long.

Her nativity was gone. She no longer looked to the optimistic side of events but expected the worst. She hadn't seen Remus leaving her coming and this had shaken her. Athena never wanted to feel like this again and the answer had been simple for her. Shut people out.

For years she'd wondered if he'd changed but she'd never considered how he'd changed her. Athena had become an entirely different person. Riddled with terrible distrust and anxiety. Awake staring at the moon with a certain longing that she couldn't describe.

Maybe she looked the same but that's where the similarities ended. After that she felt like a completely new person. She'd hoped she'd changed for the better but she knew this wasn't the case.

Back when she'd known Remus she had been happy. Athena had experienced worry and fear but she'd had people around her. There'd always been hope in the form of her friends.

Now in the years that had gone by, she had none of that. Remus was a reminder of the changes, of the bad times and of the dark thoughts that had left Athena tumbling off the astronomy tower in a moment of weakness.

Sure there may be good memories attached to him too however they were overshadowed by everything else that had happened. Athena would love to clutch onto them to quell her fear but her mind simply didn't work like that.

Athena couldn't concentrate on much except Remus and she hadn't even seen him yet. She found herself distracted in lessons. More than anything, she hoped that the students didn't notice. Usually she was a happy energy as a professor which helped her convey inspiration to her students. She was finding it hard to do that at the moment.

☽☽☽

She was walking back to her office from the astronomy tower with her head held low when she heard the large clatter. Stopping in her tracks, her heart beat could be heard through the silence.