(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟖) the second task

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA WAS CONSTANTLY thinking about the two people hid in Hogwarts right now. It was always on her mind towards the beginning of the new year. Every time she saw Moody she flinched even though she wasn't definite that he was even involved or not himself.

She didn't see Carol around anymore but she supposed if she had seen her the reaction would be the same. Unlike Moody, Athena was sure that something was going on with Carol. Her even being near the school didn't seem right and Athena had already concluded that she wasn't who she said she was and that the real Carol was somewhere else entirely.

The teacher was trying to get to the bottom of this even on the morning of the second task. Of course she should be worrying about the tournament and Harry's involvement in it just as she had been last time with the first task however instead her mind was elsewhere.

After the first task, Athena was more assured that Harry knew what he was doing and that he didn't need her help or anyone else's to complete these tasks. Truthfully, she didn't even know what the second task was yet however she doubted it could be any worse than dragons. Especially not in her mind considering her fear of fire.

She was just writing down all the words she remembered Carol Skeeter saying to her at their meeting at the three broomsticks when the door to her office opened and Harry stepped in.

"Harry" Athena smiled, placing down her quill. He seemed nervous which was no surprise. There were small purple shadows under his eyes which suggested he hadn't been sleeping well recently.

"Hi Rena" he replied.

"Shouldn't you be down at the trial, isn't it about to start?" Athena asked, looking at her watch in concern, "I was just about to go down"

"Have you seen Ron and Hermione?" He asked, completely ignoring her question.

"No sorry Harry I haven't" she frowned, "they're probably down at the trial"

"They were supposed to be helping me figure out how to get past this task"

"You haven't figured it out yet?" Athena gasped, jumping to her feet, "Harry it starts in five minutes, I don't even know what the task is, what is it?"

"Rena it's ok I've figured it out, or at least I think I have" Harry shrugged, "Dobby the house elf... gave me a solution... I don't know, it was weird"

"Come on we better get going then, what's the task...is it in the grounds?"

"No it's in the lake" Harry began to explain, "I've got to find something in the lake in an hour"

"You've got to be in the lake for an hour?" Athena frowned, "with the mer people and... whatever else is down there I don't know, that doesn't sound safe"

"Dragons weren't safe either Rena" Harry pointed out.

"I suppose not" she shrugged, "so what is your solution? Are you sure it's good enough? It'll have to ensure that you can stay under water for the full hour"