(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟑) scabbers

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA WAS WALKING BACK FROM one of her day lessons when she heard the soft sound of crying. Halting immediately, she tried to figure out where it was coming from.

She backtracked into the following corridor and walked a few paces before she discovered the source of the crying. Hermione Granger was sat with her knees pulled up to her chin, her arms wrapped around herself.

"Hermione?" Athena gasped in concern, "what's wrong?"

She lowered herself onto the windowsill beside Hermione who wiped some of the tears away from her reddened face.

"Ron hates me" she sniffed, "and Harry's taking his side and everything's going wrong, I have so many lessons even though I dropped divination and I can't even find time to help prove Buckbeak's innocence even though I have the key to time sat around my neck—"

"Hey" Athena sighed, "calm down ok, one thing at a time... why do you think Ron hates you?"

"It's because of his rat" Hermione muttered.

Athena's eyes widened in surprise and she was glad that Hermione didn't see. The rat had been on her mind a lot. Sometimes she forgot that he technically belonged to Ron, it was a weird and disgusting thought.

"Ron's rat?" Athena questioned, "what's happened to his rat"

"It's dead, at least he thinks it is" Hermione huffed.

Yet again, Athena was caught in shock. She didn't believe it. It wouldn't be that easy unless Sirius had broken into the castle again. However Athena had only been to visit him that morning, he would have mentioned if he had been successful in killing Peter.

"That's a shame" lied Athena, "why would that make him hate you?"

"Because he thinks Crookshanks killed him" Hermione shrugged, "I tried to tell him that's what cats do! And even if it was Crookshanks who killed Scabbers, that's not my fault... I have worse things to be worrying about yet this is what's on my mind"

"Ron'll just be upset... I wouldn't think too much of it"

"It's been like this since Harry got that firebolt. I only suggested to McGonagall that it might have been dangerous because I was concerned about Harry's safety, I know I was wrong but surely it's better to be sure?"

"Of course it was" Athena nodded, "you were just looking out for Harry"

"I know" Hermione sniffed as she wiped tears from her face, "Ron can just be... well he can just be so cruel, of course I didn't want Scabbers to die!"

I did Athena thought to herself but knew this would be very strange thing to say so instead placed her arm around Hermione comfortingly.

"I can talk to Harry and Ron if you want—"