(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏) the order

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

TIMES HAD CHANGED NOW. It could be felt as soon as Athena opened her eyes in the morning, as soon as she did something as trivial as pouring a cup of tea. Everything felt different, darker.

It was a world entirely reminiscent of a world lived over fifteen years ago. A time Athena remembered as the end of anything normal. Now it was rare for her to close her eyes and not be burdened with dark images of ghostly faces. Back then, this wasn't something she had to worry about. Wars left scars, some just weren't visible.

She couldn't help but think that this time they were outnumbered. With the ministry in complete denial it was hard to imagine a scenario of this war where they came out on top.

So many of the orders greatest successes had been wiped off this world in the last war. Lily, James, Marlene, Dorcas, Fabian, Gideon and so many more.

Now their ranks were running thin but it seemed no one wanted to admit it. People were more content convincing themselves that since they'd won last time, history would repeat itself.

Athena did not have the same mindset. Truth is, optimism didn't get people anywhere. Realistically, more came of those who accepted fate than those who tried to change it. Athena of all people knew that trying to rip apart the strings of fate would never end well.

The dreams plagued her the moment she closed her eyes. Athena saw ghostly hands reaching out to her, trying to pull her down with them. She wondered whether this meant something. A part of her has always imagined she'd go down with the war. That was until she reunited with Remus, since then all she'd hoped for was as much time as they could manage.

Sometimes she'd see a flash of light and a scream. Athena would wake in a cold sweat, wiping her hands over her face and taking breaths that rattled her lungs as she tried to calm her ever imposing subconscious.

Remus would always be there right beside her. This was one thing she was grateful for. Things would be so much worse if he wasn't there by her side. Athena remembered this everyday, whenever her eyes opened she'd be happier knowing he was there.

Today was different. That day as she awoke gasping for breath and seeing flashing images of friends she had lost, she didn't feel that familiar warmth beside her. Turning her head, she saw an empty space where she knew Remus had been lying just before. She could tell by the messed up sheets and the door that was left ajar.

It was six in the morning. The sun was only just rising and the late july air made sleep almost uncomfortable. Athena was never a huge fan of summer. All the time off felt like waiting around for something that wasn't going to happen. Nevertheless, she'd been trying to enjoy the days she had with Remus while they lasted.

Pulling herself out of bed, Athena crept down the stairs into the seemingly empty house and wondered why Remus was up so early. It wasn't like him. He never slept in anymore however he never awoke early. Usually he'd wake the same time everyday even without an alarm. Athena didn't understand how this was possible but she never questioned it.