(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟒) limit of the curse

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

"PROFESSOR DUMBLEDORE WANTS TO SEE US"

The sky outside was dark, no stars in the sky. Athena had been drifting against her hand, eyes fluttering every few seconds as she tried to read through a report of teaching. She hadn't expected anything to happen that night, no one would. However what was waiting for her was something that would make her feel uneasy until a time she couldn't see.

Looking up with a start she saw Snape standing there. He hadn't bothered to knock and his presence was certainly unwanted in the office. Aurora was already off to bed now. She had a sleep schedule which was something Athena didn't understand.

"Knock, won't you?" Athena asked angrily, "why does he want to see us now?"

"He said it's important and that I should come get you" Snape continued.

"I'm not sure why he wants me, it's obvious if there's ever any problem he can reply on his favourite past death eater—"

"Will you hurry up?" Snape asked in frustration, "this isn't up for debate"

"Oh is it not" Athena sighed loudly in sarcasm as she stood up, "right I'm coming, but I'm letting you know now that I'm not happy about it and I'll tell Dumbledore the same thing. It's twelve at night, I was planning on getting some sleep tonight"

"I thought you didn't sleep" Snape drawled casually as they started to walk along the corridors.

"I don't sleep? You're the one who looks like a vampire bat" Athena muttered under her breath.

Neither of them said anything else the rest of the way there. Snape and Athena didn't get on, that much was clear. Athena remembered a time she tolerated him to stop herself from feeling alone. Now she couldn't imagine how down she would have to have felt to willingly spend time with the man.

"Fizzing whizbee's" Snape stated casually to the stone gargoyle who moved aside to reveal the stone staircase.

Both Athena and Snape walked up it into the office that Athena hated being in. The last time she'd stepped foot in this room had been when Dumbledore was fired. She still remembered the anger she had felt at Umbridge, the worry she'd felt about Dumbledore leaving and the panic about what would happen to the students.

Dumbledore was sitting in his throne like chair looking less alert than usual. Maybe it was simply because of the late time of night but the way he sagged sideways gave Athena the impression that he wasn't well.

"Ah... you're here" Dumbledore sighed, "good"

"What can we help you with Professor?" Snape asked importantly.

Athena suddenly decided it was best not to say anything to the man about her annoyance. He'd never been the type to seem frail. In fact, Dumbledore had usually been a figure of power and reassurance especially in battle. Now he looked old. Of course Dumbledore had always looked old (he must be over 100 by now) but she'd never really registered the dark shadows in his eyes or the lines on his face.