(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏) the longest august

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

"I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM HIM ALL SUMMER" Athena sighed in panic. Running her hands through her hair as she paced back and forwards across the wooden floor. With only a few days left of the holidays, she was desperate for some form of contact so that she knew that he was alright.

"It'll be fine" Aurora told her lightly, "his hideous aunt and uncle are probably just locking away his owl or something"

"That's not a good thing! That's not a relief" Athena argued, "he shouldn't have to lose contact with everyone, I do hope he's getting my letters"

"You've sent enough" Aurora shrugged,

"It was his birthday as well" Athena sighed loudly, "I didn't hear from him on his birthday, he turned twelve!"

"I know how age works" Aurora mused,

"Yes thank you" the younger sister snapped, "you are being absolutely no help"

"Here" another figure walked into the room hovering a few mugs of tea around her, "they have brandy in them"

"You and your brandy" Aurora rolled her eyes as the taller of the two pecked her on the cheek.

Dominique moved over and passed the final mug to Athena who took it gratefully.

"His address is protected" Athena continued, "or I'd go and get him myself"

"It's protected?" Dominique asked.

"Means she can't apperate there" Aurora concluded, "she could walk, run, fly or use floo powder"

"I can't use floo powder it's a muggle fire" Athena muttered, "and I don't want his aunt and uncle to call the police on me because god knows what they'd think if they saw a random black woman standing in a pristine white home"

"Can't you drive?" Dominique asked,

"I can't drive no" Athena shook her head, "that's a muggle skill that I never thought to be particularly useful"

"Bet you're regretting that now" Aurora smirked.

"This isn't funny!" Athena groaned in exaggeration, "I should have asked for his phone number or something"

"Phone number?" Dominique frowned,

"Muggle thing, telephones" Aurora replied.

As they were sitting around (or standing in Athena's case) there was a loud squawk from the kitchen window and Athena turned to see a large owl sitting there with a letter clutched in its beak.

"Oh please" she gasped as she placed down the half empty mug of tea. Running towards the window, she swung it open and let the owl in. She had recognised it immediately, the crisp white feathers that looked like snow, the beady yellow eyes.