(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟕) the marauders

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

HERMIONE SCREAMED. Sirius leapt to his feet and Athena quickly stepped in front of Remus.

"I found this at the base of the Whomping Willow," said Snape, throwing the cloak aside, careful to keep this wand pointing directly at Athena who was now directly in front of Remus. "Very useful, Potter, I thank you...."

Snape was slightly breathless, but his face was full of suppressed triumph. "You're wondering, perhaps, how I knew you were here?" he said, his eyes glittering. "I've just been to your office, Lupin. You forgot to take your potion tonight, so I took a gobletful along. And very lucky I did...lucky for me, I mean. Lying on your desk was a certain map. One glance at it told me all I needed to know. I saw you two running along this passageway and out of sight."

Athena's heart dropped. Not only had Remus left the map open but the both of them had neglected the full moon. Athena's pulse was bursting through her now. How could they be so reckless?

"Severus --" Remus began, but Snape overrode him.

"I've told the headmaster again and again that you're helping your old friend Black into the castle, Lupin, and here's the proof. Not even I dreamed you would have the nerve to use this old place as your hideout --"

"Remus hasn't done anything, it's been me helping Sirius" Athena interrupted.

"You?" Snape asked coldly, "well that is unfortunate... I thought you'd changed now I see your just as stupid and naive as you always were"

"Don't you dare talk about her like that!" Yelled Remus,

"Severus you have to listen" Athena cut across Remus, "Sirius is innocent, you don't understand what's going on"

"Four more for Azkaban tonight," said Snape, his eyes now gleaming fanatically. "I shall be interested to see how Dumbledore takes this... I'm sure he'd be glad to see you behind bars Athena after all the trouble hive caused him yet... He was quite convinced you were harmless, you know, Lupin...a tame werewolf --"

"You fool," said Remus softly. "Is a schoolboy grudge worth putting an innocent man back inside Azkaban?"

Snape suddenly lunged forwards and grabbed Athena's arm, pulling her away from Remus. In the next second there was a loud BANG!

Thin, snakelike cords burst from the end of Snape's wand and twisted themselves around Lupin's mouth, wrists, and ankles; he overbalanced and fell to the floor, unable to move.

Athena screamed and shoved Snape away from her. She fell to the floor beside Remus and tried to pull the chords off. Her wand had slipped out of her sleeve and was now rolling across the room. Athena was so caught up in desperation that she neglected it's presence.

Sirius started toward Snape, but Snape pointed his wand straight between Black's eyes.

"Give me a reason," he whispered. "Give me a reason to do it, and I swear I will."