(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟗) singing valentines

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

VALENTINES DAY WAS AN ANNOYANCE at the best of times. However now that Athena's relationship seemed to be crumbling around her while all she could do was watch, it seemed to be a curse rather than a blessing.

She was sure that she'd hear at least one giggling comment between students about secret admirers and such. Athena missed the whimsical times of her youth where a holiday such as this may have seemed exciting. Now she wanted nothing more than to forget it was in fact February fourteenth.

She should have guessed that something wouldn't go to plan. As soon as she walked into the hall her heart dropped and she felt like turning on her heel and walking straight out again, a strangely angered feeling rising inside of her.

Now that she saw the full picture, things started to make sense. Lockhart had been infuriating all week. He seemed to be under the pretence that he had scared the monster away and that everyone in the school simply needed a morale booster.

Lockhart's idea of a morale booster became clear at breakfast time on February fourteenth. The walls were all covered with large, lurid pink flowers. Worse still, heart shaped confetti was falling from the pale blue ceiling

Athena moved over towards the the teachers table slowly in confusion as she looked out over the students. Some of them were giggling at the decorations, catching confetti in their palms or passing cards to one another. Others just seemed completely unimpressed

As Athena took her seat, deliberately trying to not make eye contact with anybody, she spotted Lockhart, wearing lurid pink robes to match the decorations, waving for silence.

The teachers on either side of him were looking stony faced. From where she sat, Athena could see a muscle going in Professor McGonagall's cheek.

Snape looked as though someone had just fed him a large beaker of Skele Gro.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty six people who have so far sent me cards! Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all — and it doesn't end here!"

Athena raised her eyebrows in clear shock. Snape caught her eyes and seemed as completely annoyed as she was. She wondered how anyone could buy into his flowery attitude of delusions.

Lockhart clapped his hands and through the doors to the entrance hall marched a dozen surly looking dwarfs. Not just any dwarfs, however.

Lockhart had them all wearing golden wings and carrying harps.

"My friendly, card carrying cupids!" beamed Lockhart.

"They will be roaming around the school today delivering your valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion! And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"