(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟐) hagrid's hut

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA WASN'T SURPRISED THAT students were scared to leave their common rooms. She didn't really want to leave her office. Muggle borns especially were under the impression that if they left the common room they'd be targeted by the monster.

However the fear had spread to other members of the school as well. Penelope was a half blood and (although Athena suspected that the only reason why she had been petrified was because she was with Hermione) now students were realising that blood might not have everything to do with it.

There was no doubt that if the teachers couldn't get to the bottom of this, there would be no option but to close the school. Therefore, Athena was working harder than every to try and figure out what exactly was going on.

She was sat with books open in front of her, sure that the mirrors and the cameras were something to do with the situation. Aurora seemed to think she was crazy, saying that Athena wouldn't be able to figure it out simply from a book. However, Athena got the feeling that Hermione had done exactly this.

The girl was sitting flicking through a book of magical creatures when she came across one which she found rather peculiar. The Basilisk. A large snake like monster who could kill with a single glance.

However none of the victims had looked directly at the monster, none of them had died. Athena continued to pour over the text, her heart beating faster with every word that she read.

The cry of the rooster was fatal to the serpent and Hagrid's roosters had mysteriously died. She wondered whether the fact that it was a snake could have anything to do with Harry finding the victims a few times, after all he could speak their language.

Athena jumped up in shock, sure that she'd figured out exactly what was attacking the students. She knew this wouldn't bring an end to the reign of terror, knowing the monster didn't mean they could stop it however it was a step closer forwards than they had been before.

She had to tell Dumbledore.

Athena ran out of the room with the book clutched in her hands and practically ran down the corridor with her heels hitting harshly against the stone floor.

Rounding the corner, she almost collided with Professor McGonagall who was coming from the other direction.
"Athena" she gasped in shock, "don't scare me like that, where are you going?"

"I need to see Professor Dumbledore"

"Whatever for?"

"I think I know what the monster is, I think it's a Basilisk"

McGonagall's eyes widened in surprise and she nodded, realising the urgency.

"They think it's Hagrid" McGonagall spoke in a rushed tone, "that's opened the chamber because of what happened last time... the minister is here, they're heading down to his hut now"