(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟔) ending nightmare

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

DUMBLEDORE CROSSED TO ONE OF THE CHAIRS by the fire.

"Sit down, Harry," he said, "First of all, I want to thank you," said Dumbledore, eyes twinkling again. "You must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you."

He stroked the phoenix, which had fluttered down onto his knee. Harry grinned awkwardly as Dumbledore watched him.

"And so you met Tom Riddle," said Dumbledore thoughtfully. "I imagine he was most interested in you..."

"You met Voldemort?" Athena muttered out, "how?",

"I met a memory of him, preserved in the diary"

Athena frowned as she picked up the diary in her hands. She glanced at Dumbledore who gave her a knowing glance.

She had thought it immediately. The possibility that this was in fact a horcrux. She hadn't dwelled about this in years. Back in the war they had controlled many of her thoughts, somehow she had forgotten about them after all this time.

It was clearly destroyed, a burnt hole directly in the centre of the leather cover. Athena's hope continued to grow as she placed it back down onto the desk.

"Professor Dumbledore... Riddle said I'm like him. Strange likenesses, he said..."

Athena turned to Harry in surprise. He seemed scared by this and she couldn't blame him. She wanted to tell him that he was nothing like Voldemort nor would he ever be however Dumbledore got there first.

"Did he, now?" said Dumbledore, looking thoughtfully at Harry from under his thick silver eyebrows. "And what do you think, Harry?"

"I don't think I'm like him!" said Harry, more loudly than Athena had expected. "I mean, I'm — I'm in Gryffindor, I'm..." But he fell silent, as though a lurking doubt was resurfacing in his mind.

"Professor," he started again after a moment. "The Sorting Hat told me I'd — I'd have done well in Slytherin. Everyone thought I was Slytherin's heir for a while... because I can speak Parseltongue..."

"You can speak Parseltongue, Harry," said Dumbledore calmly, "because Lord Voldemort — who is the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin — can speak Parseltongue. Unless I'm much mistaken, he transferred some of his own powers to you the night he gave you that scar. Not something he intended to do, I'm sure..."

"Voldemort put a bit of himself in me?" Harry said, thunderstruck.

"It certainly seems so."

Athena turned to Dumbledore looking as confused as Harry. She tried to remember if the man had ever mentioned this to her. If he had he had certainly never explained it. She was left wondering what else Harry shared with Voldemort. The idea of them being linked terrified her.