(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟏) lion and serpent

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

"PROFESSOR" Athena addressed as soon as she walked into the man's office. Dumbledore was sat behind his desk reading over some papers.

"Shouldn't you be at the match?" he asked casually.

Athena, who already had her scarf wrapped around her neck in preparation for the match, sighed as she took another step into the room.

"I have to talk to you first, it's about Umbridge"

"I have no power over the actions of her detentions" Dumbledore replied wearily and Athena frowned, wondering how he'd possibly known that she was going to say this.

"Minerva told me" he answered the silent question.

"You're the headteacher" Athena pointed out, "surely that means you can do something?"

"Umbridge assigned herself the 'high inquisitor' of Hogwarts" Dumbledore continued, "which means she can create any rule that may like, as these rules have conformation from the ministry, I'd be risking my job speaking out against them... I know you do not favour me Miss Sinistra but surely you can see that me remaining at this castle is important"

"Maybe you could just talk to her?" Athena was clutching at straws now, knowing nothing she said would make any difference.

"She added a new decree this morning saying that she controls any punishments she sees fit, she also added one banning any groups or gatherings... suspicious don't you think?"

Athena frowned again at his cryptic words. She didn't find it suspicious at all. It seemed as though Umbridge had caught on about Harry's plan which was no surprise really, he was anything but discreet. However she doubted Umbridge would be able to find them, Hermione would in no doubt see to that.

"So that's it?" Athena asked harshly, "students have to be subjected to torture and there's nothing we can do about it?"

"Students have to simply not get detention with Umbridge" Dumbledore continued, "simple as that"

"I don't think it sounds simple at all" Athena shook her head, "she's giving detentions for ridiculous reasons, Eleanor Lupin only stood up for her uncle—"

"Eleanor Lupin punched Pansy Parkinson in the face"

Athena faltered now. She hadn't realised that her detention was for more than just some harsh (and probably correct) words defending her uncle.

"She missed that part out of the story?" Dumbledore asked in amusement, "do me a favour Athena and stay out of Umbridge's way, we both know how the ministry feels about you"

"And we both know why that is" said Athena bitterly, glaring at the man.

"Yes well, the fact still stands. Umbridge can be your worst nightmare but if you stay out of her way nothing needs to change. Just do your job Athena"