(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟗) the archway

☽☽☽

☽☽☽

ATHENA PACED BACK OUT OF THE ministry hall and found herself standing opposite the archway yet again. Her goal had been to find Remus, to make sure everyone else was ok. However now her mind lingered on Kennedy's words, Sirius' smile and the sound of his laughter that she could have sworn was coming from behind the veil.

Moving forwards, she placed one hand on the side of the ragged curtain and started to move it away, staring into the depth of silver light moving. Voices overlapped so much, she couldn't figure out who was talking or what they were saying.

For a moment she was hypnotised, searching for a voice she pleaded to be Sirius' and then—

"Rena!"

She was thrown back to reality, turning to see Remus running towards her. He grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the archway, staring at it as though it were poison. Athena hadn't expected him to pull her away, she stumbled slightly still unable to take her eyes off the archway.

"Rena!" He repeated, turning her around with his hands on her shoulders.

Athena hadn't taken into consideration how Remus must feel. He'd been friends with Sirius for longer than Athena. Sure not by much but there'd been a bond between the marauders that wasn't as simple as friendship, more like brotherhood.

Remus had been forced to take a back seat in his grief to help Harry and Athena. He was always doing that. Helping others before himself. Always selfless and never combatting the emotions he was really feeling. Athena blinked up at him, seeing the pain behind his dark eyes. Sirius was a light in everyone's life and losing him had plunged them into immediate darkness, Athena still couldn't believe he was gone.

Yet again she burst into tears as she buried her head in Remus' chest. He hugged her tighter than ever as they stood in the empty room where the archway stood looming over them. Athena's cries echoed off the large walls, travelled up the huge staircases.

They just stood there for a while. Athena couldn't think of words to say and even if she could, she wouldn't have been able to make them heard through her broken voice and loud sobs. Remus didn't cry but Athena knew he could have. He just wanted to appear strong. In reality he was as broken as her.

"The kids" Athena moved away now, wiping her tears and realising she needed a distraction, "what happened to the kids?"

"Kingsley has taken them back to Hogwarts" Remus said, his voice shaking. "They'll all be ok. Tonks has to go to St. Mungo's but she'll be alright. Moody's with her"

"Theo" Athena whispered as tears started to fall again, "I was supposed to look after him"

"You can't blame yourself" Remus sighed, "we were all supposed to look out for him. We couldn't have known that the death eaters were planning to take Theo—"