Colin Bridgerton- Secret (c)

Bridgerton One Shot

It was hard to not know of the Bridgerton's, they were a well-known family of the London circuits and you were quickly taught that if you could have your hand taken by one of the sons of the family, then you would have a prosperous future before you. You had danced with the brothers at more than one party but found yourself fond of the youngest of the three and could only hope to find someone like him as a husband one day, but it soon became known that you would be lucky to find any husband, let alone a good one.

You had lost your virtue when you knew you should not, due to the lack of marriage but your naivety took the better of you when the promise of such a thing came onto the table. Once you had served your purposes, your promise meant little to him any longer and when you told him that your courses hadn't been and what that likely meant, all you received was laughter. The only hope that you and your unborn child had left was a quick marriage and either fooling your husband with believing the child his own or finding someone kind-hearted enough to take on that burden.

It was hard to not be tearful at the thoughts of the future that would be found for yourself and your child. And even sat in the library of your home, your tears fell, not that you could explain them to your mother or maid if they were to ask you of them. Even when a suitor came to call for you, you could only pat away the tears and try to hope he would not notice your emotions as he escorted you around the gardens of your home upon his request. You were glad to see Colin Bridgerton wishing to court you, wishing to call upon you at your home but you certainly wished little of it, knowing your circumstance.

Once you were far enough away from your escort, still visible as was mandatory to keep certain the virtue that you were believed to have.

"I understand you must not have expected me to call upon you, but may I ask why you cry?" Colin asked softly, using his own handkerchief to wipe away the remnants of your tears.

"Mr Bridgerton, I wish I could be honest to you as I appreciate the time in which we share however I cannot and it saddens me to say that I wish to cease contact as I do not believe anything could come from our courting," you whispered, trying not to become more emotional than you were already.

His expression dropped. Although you had spent minimal time together, you had become very fond of him and he of you, he knew not of why you would wish to be apart so suddenly when the courtship to him had seemed promising.

"You can tell me the truth, Y/N," he smiled softly. "I know that you do not owe me anything, but I promise that any word that you share with me will not travel any further."

You let out a sigh. You trusted him to not gossip, and you knew it would not be long before the words of truth would escape sooner than anyone would wish.

"I am with child," you croaked. "I was promised a marriage and I was naïve. I did not see issue in loosing my virtue to the man I was going to marry but he soon cared little about me once I served my purpose. I told him of my situation, but he knew as well as I that he could deny any part of it with ease. I have no choice but to marry and be dishonest or find a home for unwed mothers and face the shame it will hold for my family. I could not be dishonest to a good man like yourself, no matter how fond my heart has become of you."

Colin took a moment to think it over before offering you the fond smile that made your heart flutter so often.

"Then you shall marry me," he offered.

You raised an eyebrow at him. "You cannot mean that."

"I mean it with every ounce of my being. I did not plan to ask for your hand so early, but I am certainly not against such things. You already hold my heart firmer than I believed a woman could and I am well aware that they are not my child as blood distinguishes but for how I shall love them, no one would know a difference, and neither shall I see it as such. I promise that I would not treat you nor your child as any different to how I always knew I would treat my wife and child regardless of the circumstances."

Tears begun to fall upon your cheeks once more.

"I do not deserve such kindnesses."

"No, you deserve so much more."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.