Polly Gray- Welcome (c)

Peaky Blinders One Shot

Other than letters with your older sister, Ada, you hadn't had any contact with your family after you were wed. It was a loveless marriage but your older brother, Tommy, assured you it was for the good of the family, for you to marry, little did he know that the husband he'd found you didn't want you talking to any Shelby's, or anyone linked to them. You put up with it but two years into marriage, your husband had fallen sick, and whilst you pretended to be the loving wife, you couldn't help but feel relief when the doctor exited his room, telling you he had passed. You had arranged the funeral and sent word back to your family, telling them that once everything was sorted with the arrangements of his will, you would be back to Small Heath, permanently.

It was great timing, you had finalised everything and got your train back home for Christmas Eve, so you were able to spend Christmas with your family, after missing it for the last couple of years. As soon as you were back in Birmingham, you headed to your family's home, excited to be able to see them for the first time since your wedding.

You were wrapped up warm, to fight the bitter coldness of the winter wind as you walked down the street towards your home. Walking up the steps to the house was your aunt, Polly, carrying two seemingly heavy baskets, overflowing with food.

"Polly," you smiled. "I've missed you so much."

Polly turned back to you, a small glint of happiness on her face but she was too busy sorting out the groceries to care enough to great you currently with the overshadowing stress of Christmas.

"Help me with these," she stated, trusting one of the baskets towards you.

You were already carrying your suitcase with the belongings to last you until the rest of your stuff could be sent back.

"Are you not even going to welcome me home?" You questioned.

Polly shot you a look. "Welcome back. Now fucking help me."

"Merry Christmas to you too," you said, taking the basket from her, even if you were already struggling with your suitcase, but you were a good niece and willing to struggle for the sake of your family, hence why you'd been stuck in your marriage thus far.

As she opened the front door, Polly turned back to you, resting her now free hand onto your shoulder.

"It's good to have you back."

~*~

Written by Charlotte

Tumblr Request.