Colin Bridgerton- Adventure: Part 1 (c)

Bridgerton One Shot

You had been in love with Colin Bridgerton for years but had settled for a friendship, not expecting anything else to come of it. Although it greatly hurt your heart to think of it, you knew that one day he would find a wife and it wouldn't be you and even if it killed you to think of, you wanted him to be happy. You hadn't anticipated that he would find a wife so quickly though. Colin had proposed to Marina Thompson and normally, you'd be happy for them both as you had met Marina and she did seem like a nice person, but you knew too much about her and knew information that you doubted that Colin knew.

Even if it would ruin everything you had with him, you had to tell Colin the truth about Marina and the truth of how you felt regardless of the consequences that would come from it.

You headed to the Bridgerton home and greeted his mother and younger sisters before asking for Colin's whereabouts. Eloise directed you to the drawing room where he had been the last time, she saw him. You headed to the room and as she had stated, Colin was still there.

"Y/N," he smiled. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to congratulate you on your engagement," you said, trying to not let the pain come out in your voice. "Miss Thompson is a lucky woman."

He let out a gentle chuckle as he rose to his feet. "Thank you, Y/N, it means a lot coming from a dear friend."

"And that is why I am here because I am not sure if you are truly aware of something pertinent to do with your fiancé."

Colin cocked an eyebrow at you. "What is there that I am not aware of?"

You let out a sigh. You knew he would be happy with Marina, but you didn't want their relationship to be on the foundation of a lie.

"Please do not hate me for telling you this. I have been in love with you since we were children, and it pains me to see you marry someone else, but I would rather you were happy with a wife who wasn't me than seeing you with any sadness. I do believe that Miss Thompson cares for you however I also know she wishes for a speedy engagement so that you wed her before you are able to become aware of her being with child so that you will think that it is your child," you whispered, hoping he would believe you, hoping he wouldn't think you were making up malicious lies about his fiancé. "Whether you wish to marry her is your own choice, but I could not see you marry someone without you knowing the truth."

His expression fell. "I would appreciate it if you were to leave."

A lump formed in your throat. Did he not believe you?

"Colin-"

Your words were cut off by his stern tone telling you to leave again. You were too shocked to try and argue, instead you did as he told you, leaving the room and his home, waiting until you were outside of the building before you let the pent-up tears fall.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.