James Maguire- Dance: Part 2 (c)

Derry Girls One Shot

When you walked into the dance, you noticed the girls looking over at you, a little confused to see you walking beside James without your date in sight. You didn't think that it would make you feel so nervous at being seen without your date after having been excited, but you were glad that you weren't alone. In a second of panic and nerves, you reached out and took his hand. You could feel it tense for a second before he linked his fingers with yours.

You looked up at James who had a warm smile on his face, his cheeks having become a little red in the face, but you weren't going to let him know that you had noticed.

The music changed, a new song coming on, one slightly slower than the previous. Although you had been excited for the dance, you had completely ignored the fact that you had no skill or ability at dancing.

"Um... do you want to dance?" James asked. "If you don't then we can just listen to the music."

Even if you had been friends with each other and he had invited you out of a nice gesture, the two of you were both as nervous as the other, not sure what it meant to the other.

"I'd love to dance."

You let him lead you into the few couples dancing. Both you and James didn't know how to dance and didn't want to be overly close to the person you had referred to as your friend. You awkwardly held onto each other, settling on a soft of sway to the music that wasn't the most rhythmic thing.

"I didn't think you wanted to come to this thing," you commented. "You certainly dressed up for it."

He was in a shirt and tie, something that you normally only saw for school, and seen as he had made it clear he wasn't coming to the dance tonight, you couldn't only assume he wouldn't have tried for anything.

"Well, I didn't think you'd want a scruffy date," he said. "And I knew you would look beautiful in your dress, so I had to at least try a little."

Your cheeks were sure to be mirroring his. No one had ever complimented you and you had never considered that James would have said anything that positive about you.

"You think I look beautiful?" You whispered, nervously.

"You always do."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.