Colin Bridgerton- Dance (c)

Bridgerton One Shot

So much pressure was put on your debut, it was the most important day of your life according to your mother as it would determine who your choices for marriage would be. You had fallen in love years prior but doubted anything would come of that. As their neighbour, you had been raised with the Bridgerton's, becoming close friends with Daphne who was the same age as you but also falling for her older brother Colin who was always a kind friend to you as well.

You were sure that your interest in him was one sided so didn't say anything to him, nor anyone else so accepted your fate of likely marrying any gentleman willing to take your hand.

At the first ball of the season, you were anxious to see who would take interest in you, but it didn't take long before you realised no one was taking interest. Most of the women who had nervously stood around the side of the room were whisked away to dance but you were left alone, hoping to catch someone's eye but no one seemed to care that you were even present.

You were beginning to come to terms with the fact that you were going to be a spinster when someone finally approached you.

"May I have this dance?" Colin asked, holding out his hand to you.

"Of course," you smiled.

You were glad to just be around him, to spend any time that you could with the person that you had a huge crush on, but you hoped that him dancing with you would offer you a chance of someone who actually wanted to be with you asking to dance too.

"Thank you for pitying me, Colin," you said softly, trying to avoid his eye, scared of your heart becoming a flutter.

"There is no pity in me asking you to dance," he assured you. "I have always wanted to ask you to dance but until your debut it wouldn't have been proper."

You finally looked up at him, raising an eyebrow as the two of you danced around with the other couples in the room.

"I do not understand."

His cheeks begun to flush as he tried to formulate his words and speak honestly with you about what had been plaguing his mind.

"I understand if you do not feel the same, but I've been in love with you since we were kids," he said in a hushed tone, nervous by how you would respond. "I have wanted to court you for some time, but I knew that it wouldn't be proper unless I would wait until your debut to see if you were interested in me in the same way."

A warm smile curled onto your lips. "You know not how happy that makes me to hear."

The two of you were shocked by the other's feelings but you hadn't felt so much joy in a long time. Neither of you wanted the moment to end so allowed yourself to dance until the music seized to play.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.