Orla McCool- Bee (c)

Derry Girls One Shot

Like with a toddler, whenever Orla went quiet, you could only assume she was up to something troublesome. You had gone over to her home to hang out when she ran downstairs to grab you both drinks from the kitchen but that had been near to twenty minutes ago. You knew that she could be a little absent minded but even for her it was a long time for her to have not returned even if it had been without the drinks. Without a sign of her returning, you decided it was for the best to just go and investigate what was going on.

When you reached the kitchen, Orla wasn't there but you could see her out of the window stood in the garden. You headed out to see what had caught her attention but even when you saw what she was up to, you were surprised, which wasn't an easy thing to do in terms of the things that Orla got up to.

"Orla why are you holding a bee?" You asked, hoping to not startle her.

She looked up at you, a grin on her face as she held her cupped hands out towards you to clearly display the little winged creature that she held.

"The wee bug was on the kitchen counter," she said, looking back down at the bee.

"That doesn't answer the question to why you're holding it."

Orla shrugged her shoulders. "Bees love flowers so I brought it out to mammy's flowerbed, but it seems to like me and won't fly away."

You took a couple of steps closer to get a better look at the bee that Orla was holding but the outcome wasn't too happy.

"I'm sorry to say Orla but I think that bee is dead," you said softly, not wanting to upset her with the reality of the creature.

Orla scrunched up her face as she inspected the bee bringing to closer to her face as she did so.

"I did wonder why when I let it go it just fell to the floor. I had to pick it up again to try and get it near the flowers."

Orla sighed, shaking her head. She lowered the dead bee down onto one of the flowers that would support it. Kissing two of her fingers she gently placed them on top of the bee, leaving the creature to rest.

"He will be happy now," she stated, solemnly lowering her head.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.