James Maguire- Dance: Part 1 (c)

Derry Girls One Shot

Y/D/N- Your date's name

Your eyes begun to prickle as you did your best to suck in any tears that were fighting to escape you. You had been very excited for the school dance that night and it had only been more exciting when you had managed to find a date. It wasn't a boy you overly liked, but it was someone willing to be your date which was something you had strongly doubted would occur. When the rest of your friends had dates, you couldn't bear the thought of going alone and then you became rather reliant on the fact that you had the date.

It had been an hour since your date was meant to meet you at your front door, but he had yet to arrive. You could see the pitiful look in your mother's eye and that only made you feel worse. Maybe if you hadn't had the date plan, you could have shown your face on your own at the dance, but having been so excited for it, you couldn't look at your friends faces on your own.

"I'm going to go to bed," you whispered, rising from the sofa where you had been watching out of the window the whole time.

"It's only eight," your mum commented, also standing up. "Maybe I could get you your favourite from the chip shop?"

You shook your head at her. "Thank you but I think I'll just go to bed, I'm not really hungry."

Before you had left the room, the front doorbell rang. You turned to your mother with a glint of hope. You hurriedly made your way to the door.

You expected to see your date stood there but it wasn't him- instead it was James. You had been friends with James for some time and as far as you were aware he wasn't going to dance so you had no idea why he was there.

"James?" You smiled softly. "What are you doing here?"

"I overheard Y/D/N talking about tonight and that he wasn't planning to go or tell you. I thought you could use a date."

Emotions at either end of the spectrum hit you like a tonne of bricks. You couldn't understand why he would have stood you up and you never imagined it would hurt so much but you tried your best to focus on the fact that James had come to your rescue.

"You've come to my rescue," you whispered.

"I always will."

~*~
Written by Charlotte.