David Abbot- Sadness

You leant against the wall on the roof, allowing the cold hair beat against your tear stained face. Everything hurt, especially your heart, and you had spent the last hour crying on the roof of your apartment building. Someone appeared from the stairs.

Wiping away the tears, you tried to compose yourself.

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise someone would be up here," he muttered.

"It's okay. It's a big enough roof for the both of us," you shrugged.

He smiled weakly coming to stay a few foot away from you leaning on the surrounding wall.

"I'm Y/N from number 4," you said softly.

"David, I'm from number 9."

You looked at the man. You knew there was a temporary tenant as the old one was in a coma. He seemed sad. His frown was soft, and his expression looked pained.

"Are you okay?" you asked giving him a concerned expression.

"Just a hard day," he sighed, "Have you been crying?"

"Hard day. Lots of memories came back today, it just kind of hurts," you shrugged.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

You let out a deep breath you hadn't even realised you were holding.

"My husband died. It's the first anniversary of his death. My sister offered to take me out and distract me, but I thought if I just tried to accept he wasn't there. I never imagined it'd hurt so much. I hoped the cold evening air would make me feel better. It doesn't," I sighed.

"I know how you feel," he stated.

"Pardon?"

"My wife. She passed away. I felt so helpless. It still hurts," he said softly.

You gave him a soft smile.

"I'm sorry."

"Same."

Silence surrounded you both.

"It's getting cold," you sighed feeling the wind hit your bear arms, sending chills over your spine.

"Yeah."

"I'm going to go back to my flat. Do you want to come in for coffee? I know that's a bit odd to ask seen as we just met, but maybe we can find something else in common other than being widows?" you smiled awkwardly.

"That'd be nice," he smiled softly.