Gary Preston- Onion (c)

Miranda One Shot

It was slightly ironic that your boyfriend was a professional chef whilst you had never outgrown your time as a student and still lived off of food that was made in a microwave or with a kettle. It wasn't a healthy way of living. You had never bothered to learn to cook as you had other things to do but with Gary constantly reminding you of what you needed to know, it had become a rather pressing issue for you.

He had tried to convince you to learn how to cook but you kept making up excuses to get out of it, but you had run out of them now. You finally gave up and agreed to a cooking lesson but assured him that you weren't a good student and weren't going to change that fact just because you were dating the teacher.

Gary had laid out the ingredients to make a simple dish and begun to cut up an onion to demonstrate.

"And just one more cut and you're done," he smiled, looking back at you.

You were meant to be watching his demonstration, but you had gotten distracted by watching a bird on the bird feeder outside and had given up paying any attention to Gary cutting up an onion.

"Did you pay any attention?" He snapped at you.

His voice caught your attention from looking at the bird and back at him.

"Of course," you lied.

He cocked an eyebrow at you, knowing you too well, and knowing you definitely hadn't paid any attention to what he was doing.

"Then cut up an onion."

You tried to look confident, but you were aware that you hadn't cared enough to listen. You may not have ever actually put the effort into cutting up vegetables before, but you didn't know how hard it could be. Taking the knife from Gary, you proceeded to roughly chop it up, crying as you went, without any pieces even looking like they were cut from the same onion.

"Maybe I wasn't paying any attention," you admitted, trying to give him an innocent smile.

"I know," he chuckled. "Would you like me to show you again?"

You nodded your head and apologised to him for ignoring his attempt to teach you. Although you still lacked any interest in what he was teaching or the art of cooking, you wanted to make him happy and accepted the lesson.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.