Piper Wright- Snow (a)

Fallout 4 One Shot

"So is Christmas as good as you remember?" Piper wrapped herself under your arm as you both stared upon the slouching, poisoned tree that sat heftily in the living room of your apartment.

"I can't say it quite matches up to what I was used to." You ran your fingers across the browned, dead tree leaving a trail of dead pine leaves flying to the floor. "With all the super mutants, ghouls and raiders Christmas just doesn't have the same feel that it used to."

"Tell me about what it used to be like... what was Christmas like in your time?" With a graceful hand she took yours and led you over to the sofa.

"Well, for starters it snowed a lot more."

"It's snowing right now!" She protested.

"Back in my day the snow was a bit whiter and not so radiation riddled. You could go outside in it and you could build a snowman or throw snowballs at each other. If the snow was particularly heavy, we all used to go out on sleds and slide down the biggest hill we could find. Now whenever there's a snowstorm they might as well have just dropped another bomb. You're right, it is snowing now and were basically locked down in here until the snowstorm blows over." With your permission Piper eagerly began to write everything down in her notebook.

"What about the food?"

"It was kind of similar, I guess. The turkeys only had one head though and all the food tended to bet a bit fresher. Nothing like that even seems to exist now, the only thing that really came from a can was the cranberry sauce but now everything does, I can't even remember when the last time I ate something fresh was." You held your stomach and reminisced, regretted even all of the vegetables that you turned down and fought against when you were a kid.

"There's plenty of fresh food out there in the wasteland, you just have to find it."

"Thanks Piper but I don't really fancy risking growing an extra leg just to eat some crappy carrot, never mind the journey you would need to endure to reach it. Look, when it comes to Christmas having you by my side is the greatest present I could ever wish for, it's just not as good as before all... this happened. Really makes me realise all the little things I took for granted before I got frozen."

~*~

Written by Aaron.