Jamie Taylor- Language of Flowers (c)

The Haunting of Bly Manor One Shot

You had just picked up your cup of tea to take a sip of it before you would likely forget that you'd even made a hot drink until you found it an hour later, disgusted by the cold liquid that was left, when someone knocked the on the door. You mentally reminded yourself to go back to the cup of tea and made your way over to the door to open it for whoever had popped by.

Although you worked in a manor house, you lived in a tiny maisonette above the local launderette and did your best to spend any time you got to be there alone and likely asleep or relaxing after your non-stop work. You had no idea who was visiting your home today. The first thought that came to mind that it was the lady from the launderette, complaining about your shower leaking into their office again but when you opened the door, it wasn't her who you saw. Stood in the dank hallway was Jamie, the gardener of the manor house that you worked in and your long-standing girlfriend. Even though you've been together for a few years, you lived separately both liking your own space but often ending up spending time at one of your flats together.

"Jamie?" You smiled. "What are you doing here?"

Jamie didn't say anything, instead she nervously smiled and thrusted the vase of flowers at you.

"Thank you," you said, your heart in a flutter. "I love them."

In the glass vase that normally lived on the dresser in her bedroom was now filled with a variety of flowers, large pink blooms in the centre of the bouquet with scatters of smaller pinks, blues and whites surrounding them along with sprigs of green to bring it all together.

"I've been to the garden, and I was taking cuttings and I wanted to show you how much you mean to me. There were so many flowers to choose from, but I think these explain it the best," she said, her hands fidgeting with each other, no longer able to focus themselves on the vase.

You had spent a lot of time with Jamie in the garden looking at everything she grew, but you had limited knowledge of the language of flowers and rarely knew much more about them past if you thought they were pretty or smelled nice.

"What do they mean?"

Jamie begun to point out each of the flowers. "Peonies are for romance and prosperity, white carnations and lily of the valley for pure love, yarrow for everlasting love, daisies for innocence and hope, speedwell for feminine fidelity and sweet peas for delicate pleasures."

Your smile could only grow. You knew that the flowers would mean something to Jamie, and even if she had just picked ones, she thought you'd like or ones she found pretty, you would have been happy but knowing there was so much thought and love in how the bouquet came together meant the world to you. You put the vase down on the console table to leave your hands free to pull your girlfriend towards you, pressing your lips on hers to thank her in a way that you could not muster with your words.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.