Chapter 3 - Fly or Die

"I'm not doing it!"

<You can do it, little one>

<Yeah Ikarus, were right here to catch you!>

"I'm still not doing it"

Outside of the cave, I'm standing on top of the mountain peak which the cave sits under.

In front of the steep mountain, a vast mountain range can be seen. To the other side of this mountain, a tall, dark never-ending forest sits way below it.

Both of my parents forced me up here on top of this gigantic mountain by carrying me while flying up here, then placing me on this tiny peak. There's nowhere I can only go except down; I don't even have enough room to turn around up here. I don't even care that those two are both hanging from the cliff face ready to catch me. I'm physically shaking from anxiety up here; I can't do it!

The reason why I'm even up here in the first place is that these two are obviously trying to teach me how to fly. They both said it would come naturally once you take that first step and go into freefall. Learning isn't the issue though, I think. All I need to do is flap my arms, no, wings and I should start learning how to do it naturally. However, I'm not throwing myself off a freaking mountain whether or not this is the fastest method to learn how to fly.

"Can you just let me down already?"

<Not until you take that first step, little one>

<Your dinner will start rotting soon!>

"I'll starve then"

I've already been up here several hours and it's already getting dark. I am not doing it.

"You're wasting your time, I'm more stubborn than you realize!"

<We should probably give up for today darling. It's getting dark>

<I think you're right Dermak. We'll have to try again tomorrow>

"You can keep trying. I'm not jumping off this mountain!"

In the end, they conceded and brought me back into the cave. I may have won this battle but I don't know if I can win the war. I might end up fainting next time.

I'm back in the nest after been taken down with my cute little dragon brother Minos. Yes, I know that name is from another Greek myth. I tried to protest and explain it to my parents but once they heard me say the name belonged to a king, their minds were set. I really have no idea where they get these names from.

"Cuu"

"Does anyone know when he'll be able to talk?"

<Years probably, little one>

"You're joking?"

<No, I wasn't joking when I said you were impatient. It takes dragons years to speak little one>

Years huh? I might be slightly impatient then. That, or this bird body is quicker at growing then dragons. Since we're speaking right now, I need to ask him something.

"Why do you still call me little one instead of using my name like mother?"

<Don't take it personally little one. I rarely use mothers name>

"Why?"

<No particular reason. I just don't use names. Do you want me say your name, Ikarus?>

"I take it back; it sounds weird when you actually say it inside my head"

<Then that suits us both, little one>

I should also probably give a little recap since I gained my system.