Chapter 102 - Perfect Timing

---Should be back to the usual routine this week but no guarantees, you can blame late-night panic attacks this time around for that.

__________

"Feel like we need a glass bottle to smash against them when they dock"

"Heh, I'm pretty sure that thing was for newly built ships leaving the harbour though Ikarus"

"Yeah but... huh, your memory is weirdly specific at times"

And so, today's the day the first of our gold is about to be sold off, me and Petra are currently watching the two dwarven ships come into port and the anticipation is actually not that exciting. It's probably down to the fact we've been juggling the other duties like constantly flying back to the mine, dealing with 'politics' and even needing to buy a storage facility really close by to these docks. There's also the issue of needing to merge it with the treasury and building a new town hall but there's always boring things to do in the background.

It's been... two weeks roughly since the first egg and unfortunately I haven't laid another since then, apparently it's a monthly thing according to Petra but still, I kinda want another soon. Is there any way to speed up fertilization or whatever it is us non fertile birds do? Hang on... it wasn't long before the first egg was laid me and Petra turned this relationship not safe for work, does that speed it up? If so, that's extremely stupid but also nice to know, the breakfast a day or two after that happens will be egg related.

"Erm... Petra, do you se-... feel who I can see in the distance?"

"Yeah Ikarus, it's definitely them"

Just as the ships are docking into the only two docks of this place, I can just about see three specks off in the distance above the mountain range across the island channel. Whoever thinks jinxing something isn't a thing, we cannot be friends, ever.

"Really? Couldn't they have thought of any other way to arrive?"

"In their defence, it's not exactly like they can get a boat over here, unless they can swim that length in human form... or know how to even use a boat"

It should be pretty obvious why it's just me and Petra doing this. As much as I like one of the other two phoenixes, both of them really aren't the sort for 'working' unless it's specifically healing related or spilling blood. I actually have no clue what they're off doing and frankly, this is our thing anyways so it doesn't matter that much really.

At the very least, the visiting three dragons have started to go much higher now instead of flying directly towards us at the shore, they are still quite the distance away and it's not exactly like anyone is going to look directly up and over there so I'm hoping they just pass by and land somewhere no one can see. I'm going to try and put that in the back of my mind for now... unless I hear screams and terror in the background.

"Drop the anchor gnome!"

"Urgh, I hope it lands on your foot"

And just like that, both ships have now arrived and have stopped moving. Unlike most wooden style ships in this world, dwarven ones appear to be a little more advanced than most but still in theme with the design you'd get with something between medieval and Victorian eras. The main differences are that metal can be seen wielded in certain parts, the cannons are highly superior to any other and this leading ship seems to have this weird looking metal device on deck. It doesn't take a genius to figure out it's used for weighing but with that odd locking crane and platform, it's like nothing I've ever laid eyes upon before. The only comparison I could make is maybe to something steampunk themed but it really is difficult to describe.

"Garry the gnome, what brings your sorry arse over here?"

"Urgh... I've just had an entire journey of this Petra, give me a five-minute break"