Chapter 174.5 - Tales From the Empire

---Sorry for the longer than expected break, lost a bit of progress when mother got sick and have been struggling a little with depression, just annoying things like that recently. Also, this story seems to be getting harder to write as we go into the latter stages but thankfully, the chapters I have written are REALLY long so it silver linings lol. Wait for the wedding arc bit and you'll see what I mean...

---Just a quick reminder for this chapter since it's been a while, the dragon Esmerelda uses 'one' for herself and 'thou' for others.

__________

(Temporary Perspective Change)

"You dare hide from one Des!? Don't think you can become part of the shadows in here!"

Storming through the castle like the true empress she is, Esmerelda the dragon has finally found where her husband is residing after my failed attempt in calming her down, 'hiding' in the throne room currently handling some advisors. Except, she isn't one alongside me while storming into the room basically dragging the wrist of a barely dressed woman along with her. I'm playing this down slightly, this woman is completely naked.

"I'm currently working Es; can't this wait another time? What is she doing here with that woman Jekyll?"

"Not getting involved in this your majesty"

"Not when one keeps neglecting his duties. How many times does thou need to say that this isn't okay?"

'Oh God, not this again...'

You may be thinking, that scum of an emperor must've been sleeping around with a harlot for something like this to be happening, right?. Except, this is far from the truth, there's no chance the bastard would ever be disloyal to his wife. Even the advisers around here know the truth behind what this is, third time this week the Empress has been dragging naked women around the palace.

"Is thou struggling to perform or is it this concubine is ineffective as well? One can always find another that shares even more similarities to one"

Despite being a captain and basically Desmond's most trusted adviser at this point, even I'm struggling to not find this situation humorous. The fact that Esmerelda is the one to keep pushing this brings a nice change to the mundaneness of the palace at times.

"How many times have I told you already Esmerelda!? I'm not sleeping with a concubine, end of! It doesn't matter if you can find one that's enchanted to look like your twin, it's not happening!"

"Thou needs an heir and since one is unable to provide, this must be done. This is one of the burdens an emperor must face to keep the bloodline pure and consistent"

(Concubine) "Your majesty, I can try to mimic the Empress if that'll make this easier. I'm unsure how she moans but I can try"

"*Sigh*... NO! Will both of you just leave? I'm working on important business here!"

This is something that has become the main issue regarding Desmond's rule, what happens with an heir? The royal family's blood line has always been consistent and kept partially pure, it's the reason for the stunning blonde hair they all have, but how would a child be conceived between a dragon and a man? It simply doesn't, hybrid species have never been able to be born.

It reminds me of an old wife's tale about an elf and human having a child together but such a thing turned out to be a complete hoax. It's pretty cruel if you think about it since elves, beastfolk and human fall in love together all the time but the fates of the world dictate it to be an impossibility.

"Look, this conversation has already been answered weeks ago, we'll just adopt someone! I'm telling you Esmerelda; this isn't a fight you can win"

"Thou must otherwise bloodline will not be remain pure, Des knows this yet allows emotions to get in the way. One will never hate Des for doing such a task"