Chapter 113 - Building Progress

"Listen Penelope, how can this be so freaking hard to understand!? That's just how water works!"

"Although I'm not completely sure on the mechanics behind it, the dwarfs did have a similar system in place when it comes to drinking water when the surface was much safer too. Ikarus is right, that type of thing would work"

"But I don't get it! How can water flow back up a pipe if it's just fallen down it? What magic or spell did you use to make that work!?"

Me and Garry the gnome have been trying to explain to Miss Penelope how an aqueduct or plumbing works for the last hour now and we're no closer to finishing. All the usual council gang are here right now including the gnome as well, Petra and Marcus are clearly the only people not getting pissed at Miss gender bender right now. As for where we are, we're outside by the new district that's currently under construction. By the looks of it, progress around this place is now coming close to completion and could only take a couple more weeks before everything is finished but this pointless conversation is taking up my mind right now.

The stupid thing is, something like an aqueduct is too impractical since the only realistic body of water is on the mine island to connect it to. That was the dwarf originally trying to explain to Penelope how it works but nothing is getting through that thick skull of hers.

As for this conversation, I've even mentioned about water towers in this since she's still struggling to figure out this stupid thing but it hasn't helped in the slightest... See, I may have the odd dumb tendency here and there but I do actually know the odd little fact like how some taps work using gravity from something up high like a water tower on a hill. I'll explain what the entire point of this is in a second as well.

"Look, don't look at it like it's flowing up! It just returns to the level it was... I don't actually know the scientific reason for it but you've just seen it's a thing... please help me out Petra"

"Heh, you tried to reason with Miss stupid, this is your battle Ikarus"

"How rude Petra! I'm not stupid, just these two are terrible at telling me how it works!"

Damn, betrayed by my own woman of all people... At this point, I've even showed Penelope a quick demonstration using a few glass bottles positioned in odd and strange ways. Even some glass tubes that the dwarf made wasn't enough to convince her it's not magic. For someone so powerful and has unseen magic that might even be stronger than mine and Petra's, it's just a shame there's a load of fluff between her ears.

This discussion only came about after I mentioned something about having the new buildings with running water and sewage systems, it's not as difficult as you'd think to implement such a thing especially having a dwarf here but it could be a little costly though. The plan for now is just to continue building the new district, then we'll figure out stuff as we go along but leaving enough room in the future.

Besides, the second we start on a sewer system, I'd rather it connects to the whole place and that's going to be a lot of digging tunnels underground. It's a good thing we've got a mine full of miners for that sort of thing, also reminds me we hired some more a few weeks ago as well. Even I'm starting to get a little tired of the settlement ark we're going through but it has to be done unfortunately. We'll shouldn't have to worry about it afterwards though.

"I'm unsure why we're still even discussing this, it's not even needed since we have the dwarven pumping technology from our friend the gnome"

"Urgh, you might be worse than Petra with that Ikarus"

"No, it's not over since you still haven't explained the magic in what causes the water to flow back up!"

I'm ignoring her now... the more I think on it, the more I find it weird that the dwarven kid Jarl Denver happily allowed Garry to leave with basically no restrictions on him. Sure, I guess he was technically banished but the amount of knowledge this dwarf possesses, it's almost as if the jarl has given us a gift with this guy. You'd at least think he would've been told don't reveal any secret technology to wherever you may go but it's almost as if he predicted we'd end up with him.