Chapter 92 - Anticlimactic

"So... this is the location then?"

"Surprised no one ever came across it before"

"They did say it was a dungeon jackass, would've been killed for entering"

"It better be safe now"

It's been several days since we first returned to the three islands and we've been continuing our plan, the people speaking are several of the workers we hired before taking a ship across this small channel. In total, there's about ten of them, all have been promised high wages comparable to this place in exchange for either woodcutting, mining and keeping silent.

Spoke a lot to that kid about this, name was Jaxon about everything we might need. Basically, it's a lot simpler than you might expect, good money for encouragement, wood for supporting the mine and an inventory full of food and water being brought over when needed. Also did buy a lot of booze for them, need a way of passing the time after all since they can't be working every minute of the day.

Actually getting the workers here was easier than expected, all we needed to do was put up a job listing in the marketplace giving a rough description of the job and wouldn't you know it, ten people came about. Jaxon did give a rough estimate on how much a miner might earn; it was basically next to nothing but that is based on my parents skewing my knowledge on money after all.

Seriously though, could easily afford to pay these lot for months before really needing to worry and even then, parents aren't exactly far away if a profit isn't being made. As for their wages, decided to go for double what a normal miner might get paid, simply because all of them had to sign a deal of secrecy, even if not all could read or write.

It's pretty simple really, none are allowed to obviously steal from the mine, discuss with outsiders the contents of the mine and talk about my species with them as well, haven't actually told or showed them my bird form yet but did make sure they understood that I'm not human and that should be obvious just looking at my hybrid form. If they find out and If any of them do reveal it to someone who could be considered an enemy, then the punishment is basically extreme debt, they'll owe me more than they'll ever earn down here. No need to mention Petra, she shouldn't even need to change form but can always add that in if needed.

The thing is, I'm still not that fussed about it being public, just that there will be people out in this world who don't like such a thing. Oh, even forgot about the church, they apparently dislike any species that aren't human especially the beastfolk. Apparently, it goes against God's view on how there is only one true righteous species. They already dislike same sex stuff, imagine their reaction at finding out I'm not human as well, going to have to deal with them at some point but for now, let's just focus on the mine and the workers.

Honestly, none of them really seemed that bothered about potentially selling their lives away at the sake of loose lips, I'm guessing being paid double is a very attractive benefit? Also, I'm pretty sure most of these were unemployed to begin with so the chance to earn a living smashing ore is clearly attractive, it's a very good thing we came across Jaxon though. Despite his young age, he knows a lot about mining so even if most of these lot struggle at first, he might as well already be the manager of this place.

Anyways, onto the present, me and Petra are currently leading the ten plus workers into the giant dungeon and have just arrived at the huge part, made sure to keep it a surprise to see their reactions first hand.

"Fuck... me"

"Understand why you want this place kept a secret"

"At least we know where our payment is coming from"

"Yeah, that's a lotta gold"

Those four do seem to be the more vocal out of the lot, think one of them is female as well. No point mentioning what they're noticing, anyone can tell what gold looks like at first glance.