Chapter 53 - Joining Hands

"Ikarus, if you want to take this course of action, there are some things you might want to consider beforehand"

While me and Petra are flying over back to one of the three islands to get the other two-party members back, she started to chat with me while on my back.

We both spent the last night with my parents in the nest, they definitely like her, that's pretty much confirmed now. My parents even got to see her phoenix form since father asked, both of them were as concerned as me when they first saw all the scars and damage but since Petra's mentally strong, she was fine about it.

Also left just after midday and had something to eat beforehand as well, human food is a hell of a lot better than eating a raw goat or wolf but beggars can't be choosers especially when Minos brought us back some lunch to eat, he definitely likes Petra as well.

Thinking about it, it's quite a nice day out today, should probably focus on Petra instead of that though.

"What's do I need to consider then?"

"To start with, just killing the prince alone won't be enough. Another family member with the same goals would just take his place"

Ah crap, I'd rather not have to kill too many innocents, it's a slight problem but not something I'm one hundred percent against, can easily be convinced.

"So... we've got to wipe out the royal entire family?"

"Not necessarily, the entire family aren't bad, just the ones who hold most of the power. The main three people who would need to be dealt with are the prince, the emperor and the oldest princess"

To kill an emperor... I've already decided I'm doing this, would rather not have a guilty conscience over killing an old man and a defenceless woman though.

"Tell me a little about the emperor and the princess then, do they deserve to die or is this something that is morally questionable?"

Petra takes a second to answer, then returns in a slightly serious tone.

"The emperor is debatable, he is probably one of the kindest emperors in recent generation but that's not saying much, he still was a main supporter in killing or enslaving dragons..."

'Looks like I'll have no issues killing the old man then'

"... The princess... you'll want to kill her the second you speak"

Damn, Petra actually sounds pissed, the princess must be a right bitch then. Even though she says three people must die, it's more like four since the mage is included in that list.

"How do we go about it then? Should we start slowly picking one off at a time or just go for them all at once?"

Petra takes another second to think, I guess even she hasn't gotten everything planned out in advance.

"It would be better to do it all in one go, saves any chance of the prince getting any knowledge on such an attempt on his life. This still won't be an easy task, I'll provide you with as much support as I can but with the mage, there's always a dangerous risk"

I do sometimes wonder why she hasn't tried killing them beforehand, she'd probably have her reasons for not doing it just yet but I feel like it might be sad and depressing again. Her past is always like that it seems, I feel like I'm taking advantage of her a little with her help but it should be fine, right?

The mage is definitely more powerful than I know if Petra thinks she's a risk though, might need to spend more time levelling to prepare only if Petra doesn't believe we're ready yet.

"There is another issue about what happens afterwards though. If we take care of the people who will prove the most problematic, then the empire will end up in turmoil. That is something you really don't want happening"