Chapter 98 - Side Effects

'Seriously though, what has she been up to?'

Arriving back into the hot spring's settlement, I'm greeted to a packed-out town market all witnessing one of the many buildings that surround this area in pitch black flame. Obviously, there's only one person who could've done such a thing, I'm also pretty sure that's the building this island's Lord lives in. Give it a few minute or so, I can see that building turning into debris.

Without even giving it a second thought, I barge through the crowd and rush into the burning building in search of her, strongly doubt Petra's in extreme danger but there has to be a reason she's taken this approach, this was supposed to be a peaceful mundane task so something must've gone terribly on.

Traversing the endless burning hallways and stairways, I eventually find myself at the top floor of the building, wasn't exactly difficult to get through all these flames considering the perfect fire resistance after all. Finding it a little more difficult to breathe but still have enough time and have just arrived where Petra is at.

(Petra) "*Cough cough*... fucking vampires"

"To actually think they were such mythical creatures, can't believe the entire council were hiding such a secret"

In the Lord's business or meeting room stands a battle worn Petra alongside a well-dressed man, he doesn't exactly look like a noble but might be the fanciest looking person in this town. Should also mention the flames are a lot less frequent in this area, there is a lot of thick smoke and on the floor lies several corpses that look completely black and charred, no need to ask whose handiwork that is. Also a little surprised she had to use her magic to kill them instead of her blade but this might be a pretty serious situation for her to go against how she normally does things.

"Petra, what's happened?"

"Ah, I'll explain a little more in detail later... that damn succubus within the group decided to enact her accursed magic on me, you mind giving me a hand Ikaru? Don't bother with any potion though, it won't help"

Petra almost looks like she's struggling to stand right now so I rush on over to give her a neck to lean herself on. She seriously looks exhausted right now, even the other guy gives her his neck for her other arm.

"So that's your friend Ikarus I presume?"

"Not the time right now, this building needs to fully burn or those cockroaches may revive, they need to turn to ash"

I know Petra's experienced killing vampires before but damn, she really knows too much about killing vampires. I've heard rumours on how difficult they can be to kill but she might as well write a book on it. I guess they did kill her ex though, she does have an extreme agenda against them even if she can control herself against friendly ones like when we finished that undead dungeon.

(Ikaurs) "*Cough cough*, let's just get out of here then..."

__________

"You don't need to worry so much Ikarus, the effect is only temporary and is mostly harmless, vampires and succubi do have draining abilities that can cause things like this"

"But still... as long as you say you're fine... what happened anyways?"

Sitting on a bench in the market watching the building slowly turn to debris, I'm currently fixated on Petra who seems to be refusing help while that Lord whoever he may be is next to us. Getting out of the burning building wasn't all that difficult really, all we had to do was absorb the fire in the way for the human and hold our breathe for a while.

I'm a little worried cause Petra has a slight red tint to her, I guess you could say it's similar to blushing but seems to affect her entire body, almost similar to a rash. As for the wounds she's received, I can see roughly two slight cuts on her arm, I'm guessing her exhaustion was from herself though? Ah, yeah, forgot to mention her eyes seemed to be fading back into normal when I arrived in there, I'm guessing she had to use black eye mode for a little bit. Whoever those vampires are, they must've caused Petra problems.