Chapter 49 - Ambush

"It's clearly a trap"

(Zeki) "I agree orangey"

(Ariza) "Uh huh"

(Petra) "Seems that way"

All four of us are now back in Petra's tent after the message from the elf was received, we had to wake up both the other two since it's gotten pretty late now, the message was clearly that important.

As for what the message said, it basically went into great detail on how the elves want to make peace with our country and that they understand our reasons for not sending our daughter away. They way it's written, it does sound somewhat genuine but there is clearly one big problem.

The problem is that they will not sue for peace unless our entire family meet them together in an open part of the forest, alone. This clearly sounds like a trap.

"Still, we should attend such a thing"

Petra actually wants to do this? Where's her caution gone all of a sudden?

(Ikarus) "What's your thinking then?"

(Zeki) "Yeah older sis, this seems dumb"

"Two reasons, first is that we don't know if this is actual attempt to kill us, they could want actual peace"

"You can't be that naïve sis; they'll easily surround us that deep in the forest"

Me and Ariza are both in agreement with Zeki but know when to keep our mouths shut, she was going to continue on.

"Zeki, wasn't done yet. In the most likely option of a complete ambush against us, they'll get to witness how powerful we really are. Leave a survivor or two and the chances of them suing for peace increases"

I like her confidence but still, it does seem a bit risky especially when she's completely blind, unless she hasn't revealed everything she's capable of which might make sense.

"Petra, are you hiding something like a secret magic that deflects arrows or something?"

Arrows are the biggest counter to unlimited magic; all it would take in theory is a single arrow through the right spot in the head to land a kill. That's why we still need to be slightly careful especially when elves mostly use arrows, some use magic and swords but it isn't all that common.

"Not at all Ikarus, just thinking if all three of us were to combine our flame around us like a circle, it would be more than hot enough to burn any attack that approaches. We still have Ariza if any get through"

She was thinking of something like that? I guess it would work if we were to coat the area around us in oil or something else extremely flammable.

"We'd have to get to transport a load of oil though, it shouldn't prove that difficult"

"No Ikarus, we don't need anything to set alight"

Hang on, what is she on about then? Our flame comes from us, how could we make a circle protecting us if it isn't shooting from our own hands constantly? It would burn up way too quickly, I guess we could keep spinning but I don't think that's what she's on about though.

"I'm a little confused Petra"

"Yup older sis, I have no idea how to do that either"

Even those two are a bit confused on what Petra is talking about. Simply put, once fire is released from your body, it very quickly loses its heat the further away it is.

It's why something like my flamethrower doesn't have unlimited range or can shoot miles away, it burns up to fast. Fireballs have a lot more range but they're more compact so it does make sense. The tornado is just pure power so it has a long distance but needs charging.