Chapter 123 - Defence

"Damn... it's like a fucking warzone down there"

Arriving back in the settlement still in the skies, the streets appear to be filled with bodies and it really is a horrid sight, war really is terrible... okay, I'm overplaying this a little, the streets aren't exactly filled and I'm pretty sure every single one is an enemy from the monastery. That's not a guarantee though, some are definitely enemies but quite the few look charred but can just about make out white clothing or armour. It's not really a horrid sight at all, who really cares about a hundred bodies or so?

It's surprising that all the buildings look untouched... say, this isn't Ariza's handiwork, right? I know she can use her fire in aggression and can't forget about the mind control stuff she has as well but she hates using it. If it's to protect our citizens though, I can see her doing it since she was never a complete pacifist. If this was Zeki's work, these buildings wouldn't be untouched and Petra would've preferred sword fighting.

I'm done with admiring the scene now and go towards the government district since it sounds like there are voices over there. I barely used any magicka destroying those last few ships and I'm pretty sure I even gained some EXP but there's no time for something like that right now when attackers could still be around.

Still approaching from the air, I see a large group of our soldiers all defending the newly constructed district roaming around. It's a little odd just how empty the settlement is right now but I'm thinking anyone who can't wield a sword has been brought somewhere safe. My killing spree was far away stopping all the reinforcements after all so now I feel like I missed out some stuff a little.

Anyways. I go to land next to two of the more experienced looking soldiers on the outskirts and accidently give one of them a huge shock, so much so he nearly drops his sword.

"Argh! What the fuck is that!?"

"It's one of the leader's jackass, Queen Ikarus. Just cause she's currently got wings, it can't be that hard to tell?"

"You make it sound like having wings is a normal thing all of a sudden, everyone knows the rumours but still"

Urgh, that calmer guard didn't even say that in a joking way, that stupid two queen thing is starting to sink in for everyone but I haven't got the time to moan at him for it. I get that people like us and all but it's really unnecessary.

"Where's Marcus and everyone else right now?"

"They're inside the town hall ma'am"

"Yeah, healer Ariza, Marcus and the gnome have been organizing the defence so we're currently on patrolling duty, those religious fucktards tried to land a few rowboats in the northern channel"

I've only just noticed these guards have blood on them as well, they clearly have been doing their jobs. It's good to know we have soldiers who can fight but being unnumbered ten or a hundred to one is still an impossible fight. I may sound like I'm exaggerating but if we take that entire fleet into account, then I might be downplaying it a little.

"Thanks, I'm leaving now... make sure you don't die fighting a pointless battle thinking you're heroes or something like that, there's nothing wrong with retreating then a pointless death"

It's not exactly like I'm worried for two soldiers but these two are pretty far separated from the rest, I was actually thinking they could be deserters or might've have betrayed us at first glance but that really doesn't seem the case.

"Yes ma'am! Ariza already gave us those orders, that's actually part of the plan for us to be so far away"

"There's no need to worry though, my four year old son fights better than these fanatics. Incompetent idiots really"