Chapter 110 - Planning Permission

"Hmm... if we put that here and that over there..."

You see, Garry the gnome has a promotion... or just a new job on the side, he's still getting paid the same amount regardless. Basically what we're up to right now is checking out an area suitable for development just off the outskirts of the town. This place in particular is basically going to be where nearly everything is going to be built when things are finally set into motion.

"...That could work... you two, you're definitely going to want everything close by and together especially focused around the treasury... although I'm unsure why you still don't want a palace or a fancy place to live in just yet"

He's been very specific and pedantic on this sort of thing, apparently we need a new district focused around the government side of things and within that district, the suggestion of a leaders building or palace has been suggested. Look, there's already the idea for a new town hall and stuff like that has been thought out but do we really need such a building like a palace? Sure, it would be small and more like a wooden Viking longhouse in the beginning but still, there's way more important things to start.

"You're still on that idea? Just forget it for now, way too much other stuff going on to worry about that crap"

"Heh, Ikarus is right though, it would be nice to have a home but work comes first"

In all honestly, a nice little wood cabin out in the woods with Petra sounds brilliant but there's limited workforce on this island and it's all going to be needed when the ships next arrive. Once we can exchange the silver, this place is going to be a constant mess of non-stop builders which we'll make sure actually get paid for the completed job, not by time so they can't take years building something that never gets completed... my thinking oddly goes back to Earth when experiencing roadworks, remember a one-mile stretch of road taking literal years to fix... weird thing to compare it to.

"Regardless, I'm still setting up a place in mind just in case you two leaders get tired of sleeping at the inns, people do find that a little odd but I guess it makes them feel like you're pretty genuine and grounded I guess"

Huh, where did that comment from Garry the gnome come from? We're not the leaders, just members on the council for now.

"Wait, what was that dwarf? You just called us leaders?"

"..."

He pauses before answering my question and Petra's silence, it's almost as if he thought we already knew what he just said.

"Are you actually surprised people think Marcus gave you the place to control? The rumour is any decision doesn't get passed unless you two say and he's basically just become your adviser at this point... you don't really talk to many people, do you?..."

Was this really noticeable? No, it couldn't have been, even Petra looks a little surprised about such a thing. There obviously was the slight hint people may get that impression after what happened when I 'rescued' pervy Petra from the building and we are seen a lot around this place taking to the guy and even have majority control on decisions... I guess I can see why people might think we're in power now but it's not exactly like we've been releasing information to the public, at least us two haven't...

"...I'm really not the person for such a conversation though, my wife could probably tell you more since she can't help but talk to any stranger. Now you can bugger off, I've got to check the terrain to make sure how deep we need the foundations and this is always bloody boring work"

Looks like that's our cue to leave the dwarf alone, I really need to get him a red pointy hat someday and say it's part of his work uniform so his nickname will only get worse. He should just embrace it at this point, it does suit him.