Chapter 129 - Reactions

(Temporary Perspective Change)

"... How many times is this now Esmerelda? If I go out onto the battlefield, we can get this over so much quicker"

"Thou is needed here and not allowed to shirk responsibilities, one knows Des only wants to fight to skip emperor duties"

Currently is the war room, Desmond and Esmerelda have been constantly 'fighting' about how to precede with the next upcoming battle. You see, the emperor wants to join in the upcoming battle to destroy the heart of the rebellion in the east and the empress is completely against it. By this point, I'm surprised they haven't excused themselves to settle things in battle like they normally do but it's not like the empress can really change form anywhere close by and not be seen so arguing it is.

This room in particular has been used a lot more recently with this whole war going on, the huge round table itself has probably seen better days but both those two have never been pedantic on something pointless like a war room looking neat... Ah, I've known Esmerelda was a dragon for quite some time now, it's not exactly a huge secret if you've known Desmond from his bastard days but it's still not commonly known. Pretty sure the royal knight next to me Nathan doesn't even know about her yet, wouldn't surprise me if he still has that dragon stutter of his.

As for the war, things against the rebellion have been going well for the most part and we've finally gotten them back up against the capital and have even progressed further nearly surrounding the city. The rebels in the east have always been a significant problem and now that we can block them off from resupplies, it's just a matter of time now. We're trying to avoid starving the population though since there still is a load of citizens inside that place who support the empire... Well, I should probably say new empire since these two handle things way differently compared to the dead prince.

"*Sigh*... we really need to stop these sorts of arguments Es especially in front of people"

"Don't ask one's opinion if thou doesn't like the answer then Des"

In all honesty, they really should be listening to the generals and captains for advice but both the empress and emperor are pretty stubborn on that sort of thing. I think it's more a lack of trust in most people so those two prefer to handle everything themselves, there is obvious exceptions though especially considering Desmond is now looking towards me.

"Say... what's your opinion on the whole thing Jekyll? You're oddly quiet about this considering you're more involved in this than anyone else"

"Your majesty, everybody knows not to get in between a warring couple. If you were to order me to answer though, then I'd say the empress is spot on"

The bastard did always get slightly grumpy if people disagree with him but to actually here the emperor scoff at me? He was always rough around the edges but that surprisingly works in his favour at times, at least that got a smile out of the disguised dragon though.

"*Scoff*, it appears you've chosen your side Jekyll... what about you Nathan? Any thoughts?"

"Sorry Emperor Desmond, but I'm only here to protect you, this isn't really my sort of thing"

"Gods, you two are useless at times..."

For some reason, me and the promoted knight seem to be heavily favoured by the new leaders. I'm only speculating of course but I'm guessing it's a trust thing? We both have ties with Petra and Ikarus so maybe that's the reason? It is weird we both seem to have more say then the acting generals and even advisors at times though.

Speak of the devil, an advisor rushes into the room with a concerned look on his face obviously about to spill something terrible. No one with that sort of face is about to give good news.