Chapter 117 - Happiness

(Ariza) "Uh... Mr Loki, was something supposed to happen or does it take a while?"

Just after clearing the catacombs full of cultists, the paper map we were given starting glowing and onced placed on a table inside this circular room, switched back into a crystal ball. Then after that, a beam of light struck out of it hitting Ariza and the God Loki started speaking to us again. It truly was a weird turn of events but there's a reason why I've kinda glossed over it. It actually was a little underwhelming as well since I'm used to this sort of thing by now but that's not the main reason though.

You see, why I skipped the congratulatory message he gave is simply because how long this is taking, we've been literally waiting over half an hour now for Ariza to change and nothing is happening. Seriously, nothing. If this is one of his elaborate pranks, I fail to see the humour in just making us wait around.

<Erm... let me get back to you in just one second>

Oh great, he takes this long to respond and he sounds confused like that!? This better not be him being a dick.

"Please don't tell me we've been screwed over, this type of 'prank' ain't funny if that's what this is"

<I can hear you orange phoenix, my pranks have a little more class to them than just screwing you over... why is this stupid magic not working!? It works for nearly everyone else...>

He actually sounds stumped; please don't tell me this is about to be dragged out even further and we actually need to do more things before this is over. Just because I said I was enjoying this doesn't mean I want this to keep going on indefinitely like a shitty written quest where the developers just want to make it longer by adding another dumb fetch quest or something. Everyone's looking unsure but I'm always going to turn to annoyance first.

<...Ah, that might be it... my apologies blue phoenix, it appears I've made a slight misjudgement on something>

'Oh great, here comes the follow up quests'

"What is it Mr Loki?"

<I forgot to take into account you technically aren't from this world and that overcomplicated system stuff doesn't allow some types of things to get through its protective barrier. It's honestly just a big oversight on my part, I assumed it would work the same like for everyone else but you birds really make everything unnecessarily complicated>

"Uh huh... that's a shame but thanks for trying anyway"

Why is it Gods know so much about us birds and even the system stuff? Actually, he didn't say anything about knowing it in detail, just that it interferes with that effect he's tried to place on her. Forget all that though, I'm not allowing him to treat Ariza like this even if she'll jus take it apparently.

"So, what does this mean then God? Have we just wiped out that cult for literally nothing!?"

"Ikarus is right to be a little annoyed though"

"Yeah Mr Loki! This really isn't fair!"

Frankly, I'm more pissed off for Ariza's sake though, it's like dangling a carrot in front of a rabbit on a treadmill. Weird comparison, I know but my point is that false hope is absolutely terrible even if she says it's fine. Gotta be looking after our healer after all.

<Apologies but it seems I've misinformed you a little once again. What I was planning to do is a permanent change with no need for anything else to go alongside it... I'm not saying I still can't change the blue phoenix though! It just requires something a little more basic and cruder... something like a lifetime supply of potions might suffice... wait, how long do you birds live again? Ah, forget it, I'll keep sending them just until the blue one dies however long that'll be>