Chapter 101 - Visitors

"Well... that was boring"

"Heh, you really don't like these types of things, do you Ikarus?"

We've just finished our first 'official' council meeting with Marcus, the official part is debatable since we had to do the damn thing at the inn seeing that the town hall has burnt down. At least it was kinda official since the Lord did bring a load of papers and stuff to go through with us.

Basically to summarize everything up since that type of stuff is unbelievably boring, we went through a LOT of numbers regarding the town and how things actually work. In all honestly, there actually isn't much to do or fix so to speak, I was actually expecting this place to be a hellhole beyond the surface seeing that Marcus desperately seems to want us in power but things are actually pretty great.

The town isn't losing money and makes enough profit to remain steady and have a rainy-day fund, the islands themselves can grow crops so things like farming is a reliable alternative despite the main diet being fish and the standard of living is better than most towns in the empire.

The only real issue just comes down to further development really. For any significant things to be built like a bridge across to the mine island or something like another shipyard or port for example, then more money needs to be obtained. I can see why this guy is so happy for us to be here just from that alone, a lot of currency is bound to flow through this place very soon and what else do you do with such a large amount of wealth? You spend it of course! Well... it's more investing than actually spending but I'm trying to make this sound less boring really.

Thinking about this guy, we've actually been blessed in the amount of competent people we've come across recently, I honestly think we could just give Marcus a huge consistent amount of money and he'd develop this place into a thriving city but I still want to be involved a little more than just that despite me obviously having a terrible attention span to anything boring.

I do have a goal for making this place completely reliant on itself though, what I mean by that is all money that gets spent finds its way back basically becoming a constant cycle between workers, businesses and banks. This settlement already has that type of thing already in place but the end goal is a city that needs no help from me, Petra and even Marcus... although the defence side of things is a topic for another day but the only real threat might be more pirates and they are apparently extremely rare in the northern seas. I'm more than happy to smite any bastard who dares do wrong in this place though.

"It's not that dislike that sort of thing, it's just keeping focused more than anything. Luckily enough, I can focus a little more with you around"

That's not technically true since Petra's a massive distraction but I just want to compliment her even if the words I speak aren't correct.

"Heh, clearly I'm not distracting you enough then, I'll have to try a lot harder"

Her flirting or teasing is so unnecessary, it'll be perfect other than the fact it becomes difficult to compliment her when she responds like this.

"You know, you don't always have to tease so much, actions hold more impact than-"

Without even being subtle about it, I find a quick peck on the lips from Petra. Sure, I was kinda hinting at such a thing but she really does act fast when it comes to this sort of thing. It says a lot that she holds back massively for me, I still dread to think what the 'real' Petra is like...

"Like that?"

"Y-Yeah, like that... are they... who I think they are?"

Ah, I should probably explain what we're doing anyways. After leaving the inn, just fancied a little walk around the town with Petra until I found her violating my personal space, not that I'd ever dislike it. What I've just noticed after finishing the slight kiss and looking over Petra's shoulder is the other side of the market; it just so happens three very noticeable individuals have just arrived into town and two of them are being pretty vocal.