Chapter 27 - Standstill

"Ah Ikarus, you're back"

"Prince, we need to talk"

This time around, I've bumped into the smiling prince within the palace while being taken to his study, we're in one of hallways right now. Both my party members are with me as well.

It took us two weeks again to get back from the north and I'm liking it back down here already, you can never truly appreciate warm weather till you've been butt naked in the freezing snow changing clothes. Seriously, try it if you think I'm being over dramatic.

The trip back was also uninspiring but that was down to my impatience at wanting to get back, that dungeon and dragon encounter took more out of me than I realize. I really need a break from all this right now.

"That's fine, let's walk and talk to a visitor room and I'll get you something to eat or drink, I have some news to share but it's not all that good"

Is this the first time he's actually offered me something like that? I think he's trying to butter me up for the bad news incoming. That's not going to help with my impatience.

"No, I'd rather we just get this done now, you start"

"Fair enough, I have some good and bad news to share, what would you like first?"

"Just do both together, I dislike that type of thing"

"Fine then, the good news is that we've found another dungeon and it actually happens to be a fighting dungeon as well..."

There's clearly a problem with it so I'm not getting excited about this.

"... The bad news is that it's impossible to get to right now"

Thought so, this is why I didn't get excited. I would have been interested in it since it's a fighting dungeon but I know my luck isn't that good, I'm going to ask about it though.

"Why is it impossible to get to anyway?"

The prince face turn's serious and his smile disappears.

"War"

What is good for?... I really just couldn't help myself; war never changes... I'll stop now.

"War?"

"Yes, a part of the empire has been looking for independence for a while, we've been in constant conflict with them for close to ten years now"

Wait, this country is at war and for that long? Why have I only just heard of this now?

"You're at war? You make it sound like it's barely anything"

His smile may have dropped but he still doesn't sound like it's that serious, he makes sound like it's just a mild inconvenience.

"Because it is just a rebellion based on outdated policies like bringing back slavery and reverting the empire back into its warmonger days. It's just unfortunate that they have gained a sizeable following and have taken a large part of the land across the lake"

"Across the lake?"

Once again, it seems like I'm supposed to know about this world. I guess it wouldn't hurt to start doing some research about this continent, it would cut down these long-drawn-out conversations. Might buy some books to read during my travels, can read them while I'm eating.

"Ah sorry, I know you're unsure on the noticeable landmarks on this continent, should have given you a map of the continent when you left earlier. Lake Garde is small country sized lake that sits in the centre of the empire and has a large river that flows into the eastern ocean. The rebels hold grounds across the south side of the river"