Chapter 51 - Journey Home

"Make sure to keep an eye on my blade as well as my stance, it's just about keeping focus really"

"Okay dokey"

Before we get to my parents' mountain range, I asked Petra to give me some tips on how to fight while we have one of our pre-planned rest stops. We won't have to make many since me and her can fly and stay awake for quite a long time, I'm still not allowing her to fly though.

We've set up camp in an open meadow and it's late at night, it's been raining since we left the phoenix cave and now that we've gotten a second seeing that the rain has stopped, it's time to have a little sparring session.

I still need to think of something nice I can do for her but haven't come up with anything just yet, this training thing was something else since I've been feeling my sword skills are worse than ever right now.

"Make sure you fully try and hurt me otherwise it won't help you improve"

"Yeah yeah"

Does she seriously think I can purposely hurt her? I don't want to nor do I think I'd be able but I'll at least try and train, that's what this is anyway.

"Ikarus, I'm being serious"

I'm starting to think she might be able to read my mind, this woman knows me too well.

"I'll try but I really don't think I'd be able to hurt you, it's a difficult task trying attack someone you like"

"Wha-?"

Why did she just stop saying what? Wait, did she just take that as a confession? Is that why she looks a little confused? Damn it...

"That's not what I meant! Look, I just don't want to cause you anymore pain"

She takes a second to compose herself again, I knew something like this would prove an issue. At least with the other two trainers I've had before, I could try my best since I couldn't care if I had landed a hit on them, Petra is different. I regret suggesting this a little now.

I've already said I like Petra but I guess this time put her off guard a little, it wasn't meant in that way. Well, I guess it kinda was...

"Anyway... Ikarus, I can take it so you don't need to worry about hurting me"

"It would be easier with something like wooden swords though, I know I don't have any but what about a tree branch instead?"

I know I suggested this training but still, I'd rather spar without having the risk of hurting her, I can't help that since I thought I still had a couple of training swords hidden in storage but must have thrown them out.

We're both holding our human weapons of choice, she has her samurai blade and I have my vampiric dagger I got from the undead dungeon. We've already tested it and her sword will hold up against the enchanted sharpness on mine but still, it's too risky especially if she's only defending. Sometimes I think she's a little arrogant but I think it's a lot more like confidence then anything else, she has lived six hundred years after all.

"Ikarus, haven't received a dangerous sword wound in... can't actually remember, it's been that long. Please, just try"

"*Sighhh*, fine then"

With that, I ready myself and go in for a swing towards her shoulder that very quickly gets blocked by her. I really should do what she says and try properly though.

I go in for another, this time towards her stomach but it gets swiftly blocked with no effort once again.

"Ikarus, please"

Fine, if she's going to be like this, then I'll try but I really don't want too though.

I'll try my hardest to land a hit and go for something sneaky, similar to what I did with the captain that got me told off when I was first learning to use a sword. I swing at her anticipating the block, she blocks once again but I then push my entire body weight against the blade that causes her to step back from the slight surprise.