Chapter 97 - Problems

"The hell has gone on here?"

Me and Petra have just arrived back outside of the mine returning from the trade deal trip, took roughly two weeks and have come across a pretty nasty looking sight outside the cave. All eleven of our workers are outside sitting down looking bruised, beaten and some even bloodied.

"*Cough cough*... damn chest, apologies ma'am, we failed to uphold our duties"

Jaxon is the first to answer and looks the worst out of the lot, he might have a few broken ribs and a busted arm. Thankfully enough, I've always got something to fix injuries like that but it would've been nice if Ariza were around right now.

"I've already told you to stop calling us ma'am... here take these, apply it on the injuries, it'll hurt like a bitch but it will help a lot"

While responding, I get out a handful of healents and pass them around the broken miners, all of them start to apply the solution onto their wounds while still conversing with me.

"Thanks ma'a-, Ikarus. Sorry again, a group of pirates followed us from town, beat us to a pulp, then took all the gold we had stockpiled that hadn't been transported over just yet"

"Fucking pirate scum"

"One of the bastards caught my good eye"

"Damn! That potion hurts like shit, sorry about losing your ore"

"Sorry bosses, nothing we can do against people like that"

The vocal four can't help but join Jaxon is his response, I'm a little annoyed at these lot right now but clearly not for the reason they think. As for Petra, she also seems a little concerned about what's happened but hasn't said anything this time around.

"For the love of God, will you stop apologizing for one second..."

I have a few questions about everything that's gone on but for now, there's a more immediate issue at hand. I don't really understand why they even went into town since I made sure to give them enough supplies before leaving and I could've just transported the stockpile myself later on. That fact that a bunch of pirates decided to beat up our workers like this though... I'm about to leash my full wrath on them. I couldn't give a shit about the lost gold.

"... Money's just money at the end of the day. Be positive about this, all of you are alive and don't look to have any serious injuries... Jaxon, how long ago did this happen and are they still close by?"

"Several hours ago and one their ships was anchored off the north shore, they took rowboats into the town... you're not going to chase them, are you?..."

I don't need give a response to him or even say words with Petra, it's now time to start the hunt, these bastards won't get away with this, mark my words...

"... *Cough*, already know I can't convince you otherwise but there's another issue that's come to light as well"

'Oh great, another problem'

(Petra) "What's the issue Jaxon?"

The scrawny kid ends up pausing before responding to Petra's question, he even looks to be more concerned about this than getting his arm broken and bloodied from the pirates.

"The Lord of these islands is demanding tribute in exchange for setting up a business here without permission... we thought we were being secretive enough about this but clearly we were too incompetent"

"So let me get this straight then... while we're gone setting up a deal, pirates come stealing our product and now the Lord is basically demanding taxes? For fuck's sake! We've just gotten back and two annoying things have come up... I'm not pissed at you lot, just I wanted a slight break after travelling, that's all"