Chapter 22 - Rescue

"Damn, it's cold!"

"I agree Ikarus-sama"

"Even I'm freezing"

"It doesn't help I just had to change my form as well, feathers are so much better"

Despite us wearing big fluffy fur clothing, all of us could feel the weather up in the snowy land of the north. The prince did describe it best, it is freezing.

In the end, it took roughly two weeks in total to get to the northern settlement. The journey was actually uninspiring other than the encounter with the blind woman. Since I'm spending a good twelve hours a day in flight, we didn't end up encountering a single bandit. Did stop to hunt and get food every now and then but no human enemies, didn't level up as well.

I could've flown for longer hours but it never hurts to keep energy spare in case I need it for something else. Did also fly over some noticeable locations without stopping though, main one was another city and also did get a small look at a huge monastery off in the distance.

The city wasn't close to being comparable to the capital but still was impressive, the amount of crop fields it had was actually slightly mad. I think it's safe to assume that city provides a lot of food for the empire. The monastery I only got a quick glance at but didn't get close enough to have a proper look.

As for when we were stopping, we did come across an odd inn. Normally, I would fly till I've had enough and then set up camp for the night, this inn just happened to be close to us when I wanted to stop. I say the inn was odd simply because of the amount of attention succubus-sama got, she seriously is like a modern celebrity. I don't think the priestess outfit helps her stay hidden though.

Back onto the northern settlement, it sits upon a cliff face overlooking the ocean and it's roughly the size of a large town as well as every building being made of logs but you can barely tell since it's covered head to toe in thick snow. It really is a winter wonderland up here; I liked snow back on Earth but this is way too cold.

"We'll need to stock up on food before we make our way to the island"

"We might struggle getting large amounts of food up here, crops won't grow on a cliff"

"Charlotte's right, I can't see any livestock or cattle as well"

Both of them are right, they probably have to rely on hunting animals for food, we'll have to do the same. At least it'll keep slowly adding my level up despite it being slower than a tortoise in a marathon.

'Status'

[Name: Ikarus | Species: Phoenix | Level: 24]

[Health 4,945/5,000]

[Stamina 2,311/3,500]

[Magicka 3,500/3,500]

'Fifty-five days of having the curse then, at least were making progress'

Despite my impatient nature, I should try and look at this positively. Still have plenty of time left.

As were all walking into the settlement, I can't help but notice something odd.

"Why is everyone out and about? It seems way too cold"

A few people being out would make sense but it seemed like nearly this entire log cabin town was out and about, they all looked slightly stressed and seemed nervous as well.

"We should find an inn or bar and ask around, they seem a little distracted right now"

(Charlotte) "Good thinking Nathan"

I nod at the two of them and then we make our way to the closest inn which conveniently is really close to where we are.

"Ha!"