Chapter 128 - Monastery's Sword

"What a bunch of absolute horseshit"

"Heh, sorry about that Ikarus, looks like we took the wrong turn but we should be good now"

Having just witnessed the Pope's outburst, me and Petra have now left that underground throne room and are still invisibly moving through the halls under the monastery. To think he's had that sort of reaction from finding out his army has failed!? Even if there was any sense of doubt doing this, seeing that old man smashing glasses and still planning to destroy us proves this place needs to burn. That young Inquisitor of his whatever that means doesn't need any sympathy as well.

"Seriously though, how stupid does he think we are? It's obvious if we sued for peace that they'd never let go of that homophobia"

"Heh, arrogance itself is a sin Ikarus. May make a joke but I've seen firsthand what too much confidence can do to a person, myself included"

Ah, right, Petra did say she was extremely arrogant back in her younger days but I always find that extremely hard to imagine. I guess there have been signs like how she completely assumed wrong that the monastery were much weaker than we thought but I'd say that was just misinformation more than anything else.

We're also whispering as quietly as possible, both of us have just crouched past a roaming bunch of paladins in the halls but that seemed to be a rare exception. These halls are pretty empty for the most part.

"So... I'm guessing that rumoured secret weapon they have is Excalibur then? Does it give us the power to rule Britannia or something?"

"Heh, it's strong Ikarus but nothing like that. If memory is working correctly, it shoots of a beam of magic every swing or something like that. It's been a while since I saw it last being used"

Of course, Petra's past has involved encountering the holy sword Excalibur, why am I not surprised? At times, it feels like her story is ending while mine is just getting started. This better not be a bad omen or something...

Even being invisible though, we're able to talk just simple down do these halls underground being mostly empty and unguarded, it's actually a little surprising due to how many soldiers they sent. Frankly, we could probably change up our approach and start attacking everyone in sight but that just seems like an unnecessary risk especially considering these underground halls are like a maze.

I have no idea where we actually are and there has to be more soldiers hidden around here somewhere, they probably have some sort of alarm to warn about intruders as well. That group we hid past only had six or so but that's really all we've come past so there has to be more. Something like the barracks for example would probably be in a lower-class place down here anyways.

Anyways, we continue traversing the endless hallways and eventually make our ways to a much wider one. We've probably been down here for a good hour now; I kinda feel like Petra forgot the route but was just winging it as we went along. That, or these tunnels are too complex even for her.

"That's definitely the vault Ikarus, looks like we've arrived"

"Yeah Petra, but there's a bigger problem. How do we get past them?"

We're obviously whispering even quieter now due to the two guards standing in front of the vault door. By the looks of it, opening it up would be easy just by rotating the metal bank looking lock but there's no chance we can do such a thing with those two standing in the way. They'd definitely hear, see and probably even feel the door hitting their backs.

"I'll handle this Ikarus, stay here just one second"

Doing as she asks, Petra let goes of my invisible hand and walks towards the guards I presume but I obviously can't see her. I'm a little unsure what she's going to do since combat always switches the invisibility off and then activates the cooldown timer but maybe she has a way of getting around it?