Chapter 145 - Spy

"...It was a pleasure to speak with you two queens again, should probably get moving along now though"

(Petra) "Heh, nice to see you as well Geld"

(Ikarus) "Yeah, bye..."

In one of the mornings me and Petra were walking around our snowy settlement, we just so happened to bump into the beastkin leading the Adventures guild out in the town. It turns out that little 'scare' about the golems and wraiths was unneeded as their guild have turned it into a subjugation quest for the members and we even found Geld destroying a small group of them.

We've only really spoken to him once or twice, one of those times being the demonic invasion itself. We haven't exactly discussed much except giving our thanks for the guild's help and small talk like about the weather but there is something a little iffy about him.

He's pretty slim but quite muscley, has blonde short hair and always carries around a big two-handed longsword. His clothing choice isn't exactly practical considering the guy basically just wears a tight tank top even if the freezing snow but his appearance isn't the reason why I'm cautious about him. I'll get onto that in a second...

----------

https://i.ibb.co/pW08mnC/Geld.jpg

----------

Ah, can't forget the gasmasks we all wear as well but that should be a given right now. Apparently, the dust is already starting to settle a little more so we may be able to finally remove these in a week or two, at least that's according to Aesa.

Oh, parents are still here as well but I'm focusing heavily on this guy right now, I can't decide whether he's friend or foe. I've basically been ignoring the entire conversation simply because of something I saw when doing his status check, something there is suspect as fuck.

As the beast Geld is walking off, I'm still glancing in his direction.

'Status check again'

[Name: Geld | Species: Wolf'oid | Level: 500]

[Health 30,000/30,000]

[Stamina 17,723/20,000]

[Magicka 0/0]

'That's suspicious, right Aesa? This isn't me becoming extremely paranoid or something?'

It's nothing to do with his stats since he holds nothing to me, but it's the level making me question things. Nearly every human or humanoid person we come across always seems to have a level that not perfectly rounded like that with only a few exceptions like with the dryads or boss fights. Another exception being Charlotte, who also is exactly five hundred as well...

[<Aesa is unsure on this as well. Maybe target -Petra- may be able to help?>]

'Right, I'll ask her then'

While the beast Geld is still walking off, I quickly start to whisper to Petra. Pretty sure she thought I was going in for a kiss there but a potential foe is more important than lovey dovey stuff right now... even if I don't want it to be.

"Petra... have you checked out his level yet? It's suspicious as hell, right?"

"It's five hundred Ikarus, why is that suspicious? We have loads of powerful people here already and he is representing the guild after all"

"It's not that he's powerful, it's the specific level itself. Priestess for example, she is also the exact same but hers is borrowed from a God. It's either an extreme coincidence, or he's also the same"

Almost as if you could hear a pin drop in the snow, Petra finally clocks onto what my problem is. Enemies who seem to have a level perfectly rounded like that are extremely rare so there is a small chance he could naturally be that level... but coincidences like that don't happen in this world. Shit always has a bigger meaning... I know it sounds like paranoia but I refuse to be naïve anymore! That guy is sus!