Chapter 73 - Dangerously Close

In the end, we had to completely backtrack guiding all the captured women out of the cave, there was a worry that we would have to show them all our phoenix forms to carry them back up to the surface but a circular stairwell seems to have magically formed where we entered giving us a walking way out now. They technically already did see Zeki's bird form but none of them seemed to be able to remember it, I don't think the dryads concoction made their memory slip but there might be another reason for it.

For some reason, every captured woman had no memory of the entire situation and literally just woke up right now with no knowledge on any atrocities committed by the goblins. Zeki nearly did blurt out something about mating season but we quickly shut him up before he said anything of real note, they've already experienced hardship enough. If we can prevent more by them not knowing about it, then maybe they can try living their lives without that burden, some definitely have an idea and aren't that oblivious to what happened though...

It's not for us to decide, if they want to ask more about it, then we'll tell them but none seem to be asking. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, can completely understand that, at least on something you can't do anything about.

As for what's going on right now, we're currently guiding this large group of women to the closest empire settlement, there is one past the meadow in the empire but I suggested it might be better to head into the fourth continent since it would be a little quicker and maybe potentially safer. No longer hold any trust for the empire after all.

The only reason we're helping this group of freed slaves this time is that if we were to leave them alone out here, they would likely die. Unlike the group that me and Petra helped out in the bandit woods, there was a lot more supplies scattered around from the deceased bandits and the closest settlement is pretty far away, this time the only thing we can realistically give them is food and 'clothing'. I have a few weapons in storage but I stopped over hoarding everything and for their clothing, all of them have been given pelts we've skinned from animals we've come across. None of these look able to hunt or anything like that as well.

I guess it's alright to do a good deed every now and then, just means we've got to do something really bad to equal out our karma rating otherwise we'll end up being hunted by bad guys. I mean, that's not how it works in the real world but still, everything is better off in balance, maybe not good deeds though.

I'm just lying about with the other four around a campfire right now though, there isn't much to do while we're resting late at night and these women obviously can't travel like we do. They are sticking to their own group, away from ear distance to us but just barely in sight. It's not like we agreed to stay slightly apart when resting but that's just how things have gone down I suppose.

"Err, travelling by foot is too damn slow!"

"Stop moaning Zeki, it's nice to do something for the unfortunate every now and then"

Ariza is actually a kind soul so it would make sense why she's more than happy to do this, the rest of us do get a little annoyed from travelling on foot but obviously Zeki is going to be worse about doing something nice.

"You're just a kind pushover brother, too nice for your own good"

"Be nice Zeki, your sister is right... Why do you even call her brother anyways?"

"Shut it dryad, you don't need to know that"

I actually would like to know that but with Zeki, it probably will offend a lot of people. It's clearly obvious Ariza is female despite the body she's been thrown into, one day when we get a chance, we'll definitely explore trying to help her but we'll have to take a different route then what happened in the magi guild.