Chapter 23 - Contest

Considering that the little girl was terrified of me last night, she seems very clingy now. All night long, she basically cuddled up to my feathery body. I didn't find it that much of an issue but I'm unsure why she didn't prefer one of the bedrolls offered, both boys slept cuddled up under my wings as well. I guess I might look like a giant teddy bear to kids or something like that then.

The sun has already come up and we've fed the kids, we literally are just about to set off since the blizzard seems to be completely gone now thankfully.

(Ikarus) "We all ready to go then?"

"Yes, everyone's on Ikarus-sama"

"Make sure you hold on to me or Charlotte"

"Yes!" "Yeah!" "O-Okay"

In the end, everyone did fit on my back, just it was a bit of a squeeze, the girl seems really nervous though.

"This is flight A1C30, pilot Ikarus is in flight command, does anyone copy, over?"

...

Why do I even bother when no one even has an idea what I'm even on about?

Leaving the cave with all the people on my back, I start raising my altitude my flight and within seconds, I'm already above the trees. Pilot Ikarus had nailed the take-off!

"This is brilliant!"

"It's like were birds!"

"I-I don't l-like this"

Despite the boys having the time of their life flying through the sky, at least the little girl can understand the completely rational fear of heights some people have.

(Charlotte) "If you close your eyes, you don't have to look down"

"N-No, that's n-not the reason, it's c-cold up here"

Even the scared little girl is better with heights then I was, I'm just going to focus on flying and ignore these lot now.

__________

"Oi kids, were going to land a bit of a distance away from the town and then I'm going to do something, can you keep a secret?"

"Ikarus-sama is going to make herself look like a human, if you tell your parents about it, then she will be sad"

"Yeah, Ikarus will be very sad"

All three kids nod their heads and now that were close enough from the settlement, I find a place to land. Once I've found a suitable spot, everyone gets down from my back and I go off behind a tree and a few bushes to change form as well as put some clothes on.

"J-Jesus C-Christ!!! I-It's cold!"

"Who's that Ikarus-sama?"

Yeah, their religion definitely isn't the same, I wanted to see if she would pick up on that but she unfortunately didn't. I've gotten myself dressed as well now at least, even the fur clothing on still doesn't help keep the cold away that much.

"Let's get going then"

All three kids look at my human form and immediately the little girl makes a comment on it.

"I-Ikarus sama is cute!"

...

The young girl just called my human form cute; I don't know what do with that. Literally, I don't have a clue how to react, I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear her. I know it's rude but the hamster in my brain isn't functioning right now! It's on a hiatus.

As were continuing to the village, I'm getting a few odd looks from the priestess and the knight and then something much worse happens, the girl starts tearing up.