Chapter 99 - Unexpected

"You alright Ikarus?"

"*Yawnnn*... yeah, I guess so"

Urgh, dear God, I slept like shit... I'm too tired to even get flustered about how that could be interpreted a completely different way, nothing happened except her sleeping like a rock cuddled up to me. You'd think that would be pretty cute and for that part, it was nice. The problem is that Petra was having some very explicit dreams last night. Whatever that succubus she killed did to her, it clearly gave her some happy thoughts. Some of the stuff she said-... no, I'm not recapping that, I'd get extremely embarrassed if I were in her situation knowing what happened.

This is one of those things I doubt I'll ever bring up to her, even I think it might not the best idea to say or even tease about. Some things are better left off unsaid, even she can't be confident in everything despite it nearly being impossible to embarrass her. Teasing is fun and all but let's leave most of that to Petra.

At the very least, that night has proven to me I think I'm now ready for the next step. It wouldn't surprise me if that's why she was adamant I stay with her last night to see my reaction but she does seem pretty oblivious to her explicit sleep talking, that or she really just doesn't care. Either way, let's just move on and try to power ahead, we've got things to do today.

As for what we're doing, we've just gotten some meat sticks from the market since the inn's kitchen was closed down this morning and are now heading back. Also, my tiredness isn't helped that we were woken first thing in the morning by the inn keeper saying the Lord would like to meet with us late in the morning. At least he wanted to have a talk at the inn but still, this could be a long day, anything tax related has that effect but Petra did just save his sorry arse from being a vampire's thrall so we may be able to avoid it. Let's just find out and see.

There isn't really much to actually recap on from yesterday though, it literally just sounded like Petra went in to have a meeting with the council that runs this place, found every person in the room was undead baring the Lord and then initiated combat without giving it a second though. I guess that makes her sound a little bloodthirsty but she knows more about vampires than anyone else so her attacking first would've been needed. It also says a lot that they were able to land a couple of hits on her, they must've been extremely powerful to even scratch her since Petra is the second most powerful person I properly know. The other being mother of course.

"You really didn't sleep well, did you Ikarus?"

"It's honestly fineee"

She really is oblivious to what happened I guess, at least she's happy... even if her smile is a little too happy this morning, she definitely remembers what she was dreaming about even if she isn't willing to say it out loud.

"Heh, guess I must've kept you up then, was I snoring or something?"

"Yeah... you were snoring"

At least her happy smile can always make me feel a little brighter inside, I'll never complain at seeing Petra being chirpy even if it's to the detriment of my sleep... heh, chirpy, I like that.

Anyway, finishing our breakfast still while walking and now arriving back at the inn, looks like the guy's right on time already waiting for us in the seating part of the inn where food is normally served when the kitchen isn't closed. I'm actually a little pissed about that since the inn owner is a pretty decent chef but I guess nothing he can do about it when it needs work.

"Ah, you two have returned, I'd like to thank you again for yesterday... oh, my apologies, I'm yet to even introduce myself to you Ikarus, the names Marcus and I've been trying to take care of this small island the last few years now"