Chapter 115 - Hags

"What... the hell are they?"

"Ikarus is right Penelope, I've never witnessed such creatures too"

"Uh huh, the smell is horrible inside here as well"

Having just entered a cave, we're greeted by a rotting pungent smell and the three of us phoenixes are disgusted by the sight of the creatures dwelling within the cave. Imagine a horrid human bird hybrid that looks like something from a failed experiment, just obviously not as cute as my hybrid form since these creatures seem to have the worst of both sides.

Their faces are basically rotten beaks, their feathers look decayed and scarred as well as looking like creatures from a nightmare. They kinda remind me of those plague doctors for Victorian Europe if I'm looking to compare those birds to anything. At least they can kinda stand like humans but there's nothing human looking about them, it's a little odd none have come to greet us or maybe they don't even realize we're here just yet.

As for where we actually are, around the coast of Jötna lies quite the few uninhabited tiny islands and this one just so happens to be the closest to the island we basically control. The cave itself is nothing special, just has a few nests lying about as well as a few tables with potions... huh, I guess there's a few shelfs filled with ingredients and a couple of storage crates too.

"Hehe... they really are vile creatures, aren't they!? Welcome to the cave of the cursed witches' phoenixes! Most of these lot use to be students until they tested the forbidden dark arts and their appearances clearly reflect that! They actually smell pretty nice compared to usual!"

It's obvious her Magi guild have a long and complicated history with this sort of thing so best not to question everything, there is obviously some questions I can't help but want to know but perceptive Petra gets to it before me like usual. I could see it being a little annoying but it makes sense seeing that I have to narrate everything I'm thinking apparently...

"Penelope, they don't seem to realize we're here, I'm guessing they're blind and deaf?"

"Ah yes, that's just one of their afflictions unfortunately! There is a way you can speak with them but it requires something a little more delicate. By that, a good shock should make them wake up!"

As we're walking over to the half bird half human creatures, I can't help but feel a little empathy for them, no one deserves to live in such a horrid state but I'm not going to say anything about it. Ariza is a much more empathetic person though.

"Are they okay though? I can try healing them but I don't think it would help... I don't like killing as well but if they want, I can do something to make it painless"

Jeez, that's gotten pretty dark there, Ariza's only trying to be helpful but I'm surprised she'd be willing do such a thing. I guess even she realizes not everyone can be saved and there's only one other alternative in that situation. She definitely would've killed before so it makes sense she'd be that way, it's always the last resort after all... even if Zeki enjoys it and I view it like it's nothing.

"Hehe, there's no need for that sort of thing Ariza! These four desperately wanted immortality and were willing to go to any lengths for such a thing, they're surprisingly happy for such vile creatures! If they wanted to die, I'd have chopped their heads off ages ago!"

Ignoring most of what the batshit insane Miss gender bender said, it really makes you think how lucky we actually are though; we get granted with immortality just like that and these poor four people sacrificed so much for such a thing... it says a lot about my mental state that I'm struggling to find any empathy or pity for them anymore yet I feel like I probably should.