chapter 01: Previous Life

When Wu Ruo came around, he found his arms and legs tied to an iron crossbeam with a chain, placed upright in the courtyard of his own house. And the iron chain and iron crossbeam were enchanted with complicated runes. 

He pulled the chain which then made a noise. His last memory was that he was drinking wine with his friends in the courtyard. But why was he tied up?

“You are awake?” A familiar voice sounded behind him, and then that person came up to him.

It was Ruan Zhizheng, his friend. He shook the chain, “What do you want to play this time?”

Ruan Zhizheng and he grew up together. They were as close as brothers. He could help him no matter what. 

However, Ruan Zhizheng said seriously, “I only ask you once. Where is the secret book of Shadow Steal?”

“You should know that I don’t have a book of Shadow Steal.” Frowned Wu Ruo. 

The secret of Shadow Steal was on his mind. However, there was nothing but the two words “Shadow Steal”. The rumor said that anyone mastered Shadow Steal can dominate the world. And the rumor went crazier and crazier. Even people from great sects want the secret. Even Wu Ruo himself thought Shadow Steal was a great skill. But the reality was that he didn’t master the skill. 

He obtained the secret when he was 25 years old. Before that, he was a loser who was unable to cultivate. One day, he broke his Longevity Slab by accident. It was when he understood the reason why he had been unable to cultivate was because his power was sealed. The only way to unseal it was to break his Longevity Slab. 

After he broke his Longevity Slab, a number of magic skills came up on his mind. And each skill came along with a detailed instruction and a learning method except for Shadow Steal. From then on, he began to cultivate. 

Ruan Zhizheng commanded the guards by the door, “Take them out.”

“Yes.” Said the four guards, escorting a middle-aged couple who were stuck with white cloth in their mouths to Wu Ruo. They also kicked the couple and the couple fell to their knees. 

“Father. Mother.” Wu Ruo was shocked and angry when he saw his parents, “Zhizheng, this is so not how we should play games. Let go of my parents.”

Wu Ruo’s parents cried in excitement when they saw Wu Ruo who was tied to a crossbeam. 

Ruan Zhizheng raised a big knife and cut off Wu Ruo’s father’s arm. 

“Whoo…” Wu Ruo’s father’s eyes were suddenly wide open. There were sweats on his forehead. Obviously, he was in a great pain. 

“Whoo…” Wu’s mother cried loud as she saw what happened to her husband. 

Wu Ruo froze there. He was too drunk to understand what was going on.

Ruan Zhizheng sneered and stamped on the other hand of Wu’s father, “Wu Ruo, this is what you are going to take if you don’t say anything about the secret.”

“Whoo…” Wu’s father was so painful that he collapsed to the ground. 

“Ruan Zhizheng, you…” Wu Ruo murmured.