chapter 93: Hungry Ghost Festival (5)

Wu Ruo and Hei Xuanyi went back to the downtown for dinner. After dinner, it was totally dark outside and the lantern show officially started.

The entire Gaoling town shone brightly, thanks to the lanterns all over the places. The streets and lanes were bustling with people. Some were watching the fire-dragon show, some were playing with flower lanterns, and some were guessing the lantern riddles. It was as lively as the prime daytime.

Wu Ruo did go for the lantern riddles because he knew that was totally not his thing. Therefore, after watching the fire-dragon show and lantern show, he and Hei Xuanyi went to the river bank to float the flower lanterns on the river.

Hei Xin bought a bunch of flower lanterns for them as soon as he learned about that.

Wu Ruo wrote “Wish all my family safe and sound” on the lanterns and lit the candle in it, put it down on the river, and watched it float away.

Eggie came to Hei Xuanyi, holding a lantern in his hand, “Father, could you write something for me?”

Hei Xuanyi asked, holding him into his arms, “What do you want to write?”

“I hope that you and daddy can be together forever.”

Hearing that, Wu Ruo jerked to look at them in surprise.

Hei Xuanyi also looked back at Wu Ruo. They looked right into each other’s eyes at the moment.

“Father, write now.” Eggie rushed him.

Hei Xuanyi looked back on the lantern and wrote down Eggie’s wish on it, and then watched Eggie put the lantern on the over.

While Wu Ruo didn’t look over to the lantern, instead he couldn’t help but gazing at Hei Xuanyi and Eggie. Under the light of the lantern, Hei Xuanyi face which was full of black scales looked much warmer and less scary. His long and thin eyelashes flapped gently together with the boy in his arms.

He couldn’t help chuckling. They were indeed father and son.

Hei Xuanyi looked over at the laughter.

Wu Ruo hurriedly withdrew his eyes and looked away. The flower lanterns Hei Xin bought were left a lot, so he picked another one. But he didn’t know what to write as a wish this time.

He looked around for others but accidentally caught Hei Xin and Hei Gan’s peek.

Hei Xin and Hei Gan quickly looked away, pretending that they were writing wishes on the flower lanterns.

Wu Ruo was enlightened and therefore wrote a wish down on the flower lantern, and put it on the water.

Hei Xin had a look at the flower lantern on the water, looked back instantly and gave a signal to a guard standing behind him.

The guard nodded and quietly stepped away.

“Daddy, what wish did you make?” Eggie asked, throwing himself into his arms.

“It won’t come true if I tell you.” Wu Ruo smiled.

“Huh?” Eggie felt so sad that he was about to cry.

Wu Ruo remembered that Eggie told them his wish and comforted him, “Your wish is not like ours. Your father and I are already together, which is a fact. We surely will be together forever. We won’t be apart from you.”

With tears in his eyes ready to drop, Eggie tried to confirm it, “Really?”

“Of course.” Wu Ruo looked over to Hei Xuanyi, “Hei Xuanyi, say something.”

“Hm.” Hei Xuanyi just made a sound ‘hmm’ as a response.

Wu Ruo rolled his eyes, “Only hm? I want you to say sentences, not a modal particle”

“…” Hei Xuanyi said, “We won’t be apart.”

Hei Xin and Hei Gan exchanged a smile.

The sky was getting darker, and the wind was getting stronger. It started to snow. The lantern show ended.

Eggie got into the carriage and soon fell asleep in Hei Xuanyi’s arms.

Wu Ruo saw Eggie’s smiling face even though he was sleeping. He was happy because it meant that Eggie had a great day today.

Hei Xuanyi heard his laughter and asked, “Happy?”

Wu Ruo was caught in a daze at first and then nodded, “Yes, I am very happy today. I haven’t been this happy in a long time.”

He had never been this happy since his big brother and younger sister died in last life. And it had been a long time that he hadn’t spent such a wonderful Hungry Ghost festival.

More than happiness, the bonus joy he had was the ice cart racing with Hei Xuanyi and his son. After all, he had only expected to watch his son playing on the river bank.

Thinking that his family was all living and in good health, Wu Ruo smiled happily from the bottom of his heart, a smile that was as bright as the sunshine.

Hei Xuanyi was dazzled by his smile. The smile even inspired him to imagine how Wu Ruo looked like when he lost weight.

Wu Ruo yawned, “I need a nap.”

Then he lay down on the cushion and closed his eyes.

Hei Xuanyi kept looking at him and didn’t take his gaze back until they got back to Hei Mansion.

Hei Xuanyi handed the sleeping Eggie to Hei Gan let him to take the kid back to his room.

Wu Ruo went directly to their room to take a bath and sleep.

Once he left, Hei Xin walked toward Hei Xuanyi and took out a note and handed it to him, “My lord, this is the second wish made by His Ladyship.”

Hei Xuanyi pursed his lips tightly because he didn’t agree it was a good thing to take Wu Ruo’s wish note back.