chapter 26: Numu

In the hall, Hei Xuan was sitting in the master seat and on his left side was a middle-aged man. His face was rigid. He doesn’t have eyebrows but his eyes were big and bright. His nose bridge was high and lips were thick. He had long black beard on his chin. His laughter was loud and clear. It could be judged from his laughter that he was an easy-going man.

At the sight of the middle-aged man, Wu Ruo was so excited that he almost called him master Shifu.

As Hei Xuanyi saw Wu Ruo, he stood up and introduced, “my wife, Wu Ruo.”

“He, Numu.” Then he looked at the middle-aged man.

“…”  Wu Ruo.

That was a simple introduction.

“Is he your wife?” Numu stood up and approached Wu Ruo. He scanned him over and over again. Then he patted on Wu Ruo’s shoulder and laughed, “boy, you are the most beautiful person I have ever seen. No wonder he wants to marry you. You look like a little girl. Your beauty is truly such as to overthrow cities and ruin states.”

“…” Hei Xuanyi.

“…” Wu Ruo gritted his teeth, “I am a man. You don’t call a man beautiful.”

In last life the first time when he saw Numu, the first thing he said to him was also ‘boy, you are the most beautiful person I have ever seen’. At that time, he was as fat as he was now. He thought he was smocking him at that time and he was so angry that he wished he could beat the man. But later when they got to know a bit more about each other, he found that Numu could figure out real face by reading human face shape and features.

He looked like his mother when he was thin enough. He was tall and thin. It was true that he was often mistaken for a woman. But he was not as beautiful as Numu said.

However, he had not met Numu because of Hei Xuanyi in last life.

They met on the street. Numu stopped him on the street and told him that he was the most person he had ever seen. Then he said something mean to Numu before he left. After that, Numu showed up in front of him from time to time. He didn’t change his attitude toward Numu until Numu brought a man alive from death. Given time, he learned that Numu was an extraordinary doctor. Therefore, he proposed to respect him as his master Shifu. Numu didn’t refuse him and took him as his pupil right away.

“You are wrong. Everything can be beautiful.” Numu took his hand and felt his pulse, “Hei told me that you are fat because you are poisoned with worm. And the worm inside your is absorbing your spiritual power.”

“True.”

It took Numu a long while to feel Wu Ruo’s pulse with extra care, “I can get rid of the worm but it takes some time. After all, it has been inside your body for more than a decade.”

Wu Ruo knew that Numu could get rid of the worm but he was more concerned why he was here.

“Did Hei… Xuanyi invite you here to get rid of the worm for me?”

“Sure. If he didn’t ask me in person, I wouldn’t come at all, regardless of who else would beg me.” Numu took his hand back and walked to the door, “I am off to herb stores for medicines and I will be back in the evening. You don’t have to wait for me for dinner.”

It went silent after he left.

Wu Ruo had a complicated feeling at the moment because he was shocked, angry, and grateful and also helpless. Just now he just realized that it was a pre-arranged plan that he met Numu in last life and Hei Xuanyi was the person behind this. He felt like he was played. But it happened in last life. He couldn’t blame the current Hei Xuanyi.

Besides, he couldn’t Hei Xuanyi in last life. Because he would probably turn him down if Hei Xuanyi invited Numu to help him in the first place. Hei Xuanyi might have noticed that since he tried a different way.

Hei Xuanyi turned around and sat back on the chair, continued to drink his tea.

“Well…” Wu Ruo made a sound.

Hei Xuanyi looked up at him.

Wu Ruo opened his mouth and shut up. He wished he could say thank you but he just could. At last he tried a different way to thank him, “will you go to watch drama with me tomorrow?”

“…” Hei Xuanyi.